Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan question

Thank you.

That's what I have heard. Just wanted to be on the safe side before getting a M77 Alaskan in 375 Ruger for my trip to Alaska ... some time in the future...

I believe there are 2 types of controlled feed -

My Ruger M77 Mk II International (308 Win.) is controlled feed, but it's also possible to push feed a round into the chamber - just drop it into the chamber and close the bolt.

My Remington 798 (458 Win. mag.) is controlled feed only - meaning that the round must be placed into the magazine so that it clips onto the bolt as the bolt is closed otherwise the round will not chamber.

On original Mauser CRF rifles they had to pick up the 1st round from the magazine and you could not just drop a round into the top of the mag and close the bolt. This made it impossible to load the magazine to capacity then get +1 in the chamber.

On Rugers, newer Winchesters, Kimbers and many others, they are CRF, but the extractors have been modified to allow them to snap over the rim. This allows you to top off your mag or load singly with out pressing the cartridge down into the magazine.

There are some people who will argue that this feature does not qualify it as true CRF. The bolt still picks up the round from the magazine, holds it all the way into the chamber and holds it securely until it is ejected with a blade ejector. I consider it true CRF.

Back