Ruger M77 Gunsite Scout rifle 308!

vikz

Well folks what can i say I got lucky today!! Walk in to one of the shop and there it is the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle in 308 waiting for me! as soon as I walked in he had a big smile and gave it to me!..I think I just found the perfect rifle for me!..haven't shot it yet because i just got it yesterday, I will probably try it this week end but anyway I am so stoke and happy about this rifle, it feels nice in my hands and man the trigger is amazing! here it is..

GS308001.jpg

GS308002.jpg

GS308003.jpg

GS308004.jpg

GS308005.jpg

GS308006.jpg

Little Advice

I have a GSR as well, and I've posted a bunch of stuff over the net regarding my impressions. I'll give you the Cliff Note version here.

It's a winner and is currently my only bolt action rifle.

I've found it to be accurate and reliable. The adaptability of the rifle is outstanding. I currently have a traditional scope on my rifle for longer range shooting, out to 500 Yards in hunting situations. Make sure you take the time to put LokTite on the screws that hold the rail on, and I'd do the same to the set-screw for the Rear Sight.

I've found my GSR to be very accurate for an out of the box rifle, quite capable of giving 1" or less groups at 100 Yards with ammunition it likes. If you take the Flash Hider off I suggest you put a thread protector on in it's place. Some users report that it, the Thread Protector, helps to tighten up accuracy when compared to not having a Thread Protector on if the Flash Hider is removed.

Lots of good info on the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle here:

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php

Biker

tell us

Be sure and report back. BTW, what scope and rings are on the rifle in the photos??

I am a fan of the scout, and the GSR is calling. (don't tell my Savage)

You know, the concept of a scout rifle doesn't appeal to me, but when a rifle looks that good..... Gaaah I wanted to put money into a 10/22 but now........ curse yooooouuuu!!!!! :eek:

Very nice. I wish it took stripper clips, then I'd need to have one. :cool:

I handled one at a shop this week. The only thing I don’t like is the scope mount so far forward.
I will own one as soon as the required MWTL has passed on the last gun purchase (MP5).(Minimum Wife Time Laps):(
And it will never see a scope.
My only comment on the gun,,,, Ruger’s quality is going only one way,,, UP.

I have emailed Ruger..........

I want one for a left handed shooter. I emailed Ruger and even posted on their Facebook page. So far I have had no response. Does anyone have any idea on availability of a left handed model. I know there isn't one now but will there ever be?

Those are nice. The lamintate stock is beautiful. And rugers bolts actions and triggers are top notch. I would be tempted to leave it unscoped. The open sights are nice and effective on this rifle. While I think this rifle is awesome the only thing I don't like is how tall the 10 round mag is. How does it look with the 5 rounder installed? Or do they come with a 5 rounder too? I thought they did but could be wrong. You know what would be great on that rifle is a USGI cotton web sling for functional sling shooting. You can get them new from appleseed's online store. Oh hey also can you tell me if the rail is removable? Congrats on your new rifle.

Id like one, take rail off, put on standard scope, put a nice folding bipod and gi cottn sling or ching safari (ive heard good things about but never handles) and get a couple 5 round mags (limit for hunting.) Would be a nice setup. Never been a skinny barrel fan the medium barrel is a good idea.

Congrats on your new rifle.

In a few months, I would like one of the offsprings of the above mating of your 1911 and the new rifle. It appears the two are really getting along fabulously. :p

how is the muzzle blast? Ive heard 16 inchers can be rough (ive usually shot 20-22 inch rifles in bigger calibers.) But then again ive heard no cmplaints. Maybe rugers flashhider helps?

Range report

hello guys/gals sorry it took a while for me to do a range report, anyway I was able to try it last sunday and man this rifle is sweet!! I only shot 40 rounds because I was kinda in a hurry being it was mother's day , it only took me 4 shots to zero at 50yds, then another 3 shots to zero at 100yds with the pistol scope i installed.
Recoil is not bad as you can see in my little video, it came with 1 10 round mag, you can get 5 rounders but haven't looked yet, the rail can be taken off but you don't have too because you can use a regular scope just have to take off the rear sights.(it came with a scope rings already) Anyway here is how it grouped at a 100yds with the scope i had on, i was using factory ammo and my bag as my rest so be nice on how i did with my groups pls..This group was the result of the shooting video( I was using my Iphone to take video when my wife called thats why the last shot was not recorded).

Last Months NRA Magazine had a full review of the Ruger Scout. Had I not just purchased a used Win Model 100 in 308, I would have been doing some serious shopping for one of the 'Scouts'. Looks like the Pros at NRA agree with your review !!
Congratulations on a great buy !

I think a "scout" rifle is kinda hokey but the GS can be mounted with traditional scope, apparently recoil is kind of low( a gripe with light rifles) and seems a great size and weight for a hunting gun.

Back