Ruger M77/Boyd's stock/pillar & glass bedding results

warbirdlover

If any of you have followed this project I had replaced my paddle Ruger stock on my MkII all-weather .300 Win Mag Ruger with a laminated Boyds stock and have been trying to get the sub-one inch groups back that this gun was always capable of. I then had it pillar and glass bedded by the gunsmith at Gander Mountain and he also free floated the barrel. Most in here said that Rugers don't react well free floating the barrel due to the angled front action screw but that's what they normally do at Gander. I grabbed a box of cheapo Remington CoreLok 150 gr bullets (which this rifle always shot well) and headed to the range for a long session. I have done it! It's back to shooting sub-one inch groups consistently with cheap factory ammo. Here are two target pics. The orange bull is actually two shots "almost" into one hole. The second one is another 3 shot group (target circle is 1" diameter). So the bottom line is, pillar and glass bedding WORKS and free floating a Ruger M77 barrel WORKS!! Thanks for all the comments over the last few months and hope this gives some ideas to those who might need it. (As you can see I was shooting really well today... rock solid and no wind). :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• finally2.jpg
    finally2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • finally1.jpg
    finally1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,435
Oh yeah, here's a pic of the rifle (again) for those who don't know what it looks like....

attachment.php

Attachments

• gun5a.jpg
    gun5a.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,435
Congrats Warbirdlover and glad to see you got that gun shooting good again. I have been following this story and was about to PM you to see how it was going. Now, don't do anything else to that rifle:p

I've got an old Ruger 77 tang safety model that I bought in January off a gun shop rack. It's only been to the range a couple of times and while it shows promise, it's just not there yet. I decided this morning after a frustrating range session that I'm going to float the barrel.

I glassed and free floated my Ruger M77 paddle stock. Shoots great. That grey laminate is really nice and I especially like that its checkered. Glad it worked good for you.

I hate wood stocks with no checkering. They look so "bubbaish"! So when I ordered the $90 something stock I chose a $50 something laser checkering pattern. Another guy in here got the same stock as me for his Ruger only a different checkering pattern. Both look (and feel) really nice. :)

Back