Ruger M77 Bolt Question

turnerdye1

im sighting in my 6mm and i need to talk my bolt out. i dont want to buy a bore sight so this is my option.

i was wondering if anybody could tell me how to do this.

does anybody know where to get a manual for it?

The Ruger site has a link to manuals, including guns "out of production". If yours is a M77, rather than a M77 MkII or M77 Hawkeye, this might be the correct manual -

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/m77-above79.pdf

Basically, the instructions for removing the bolt are to "open bolt and pull to the rear while at the same time pivoting open the bolt stop, located at the left rear side of the receiver".

Those laser bore sights are a waste of money for a bolt action.

This is easiest to do at 25 yards.
1. Remove the bolt.
2. Set rifle on sandbags or other stable base and peer through the bore of the rifle. move the sandbags and rifle around until you can center the target through the bore.
3. Without moving the rifle move the scope reticle to the center of the target using the windage and elevation adjustments.
4. Shot the rifle. You should be on paper.
5. Fine tune the scope (remember that the adjustments are 1/4 of the 100 yard adjustment). To move the reticle 1 inch to the right on a 1/4" click scope you have to click 16 times.
6. Shot..you should be pretty close to the bull's eye now.
7. Move to 100 yards to fine tune further.

I own a bore sight kit and have found it invaluable over the yrs, not the lazer type the old style and have used it sighting in many rifles. Always puts you on the paper and i do a rough zero at 25 yds using remington charts. Have also used the lazer types and have found them seriously lacking to say the least. Saves a ton of in ammo costs and i am always amazed at some of the fools at my local range who spend small fortunes (in ammo) just getting on the target at 25 yds to get a clue? My kit paid for itself yrs ago.

Back