Ruger M77 All Weather Compact?

Willie D

CDNN has some pretty good prices on M77s right now and I was especially interested in a stainless 30-06. According to their catalog, their 30-06 All Weather is a "Compact" with 20" barrel.

I don't see any equivalent to that on the Ruger website. All the "Compacts" on the Ruger site have a 16.5" bbl.

Does anyone have one of these rifles or know anything about them?
Does the stock have a shorter LOP than a regular one?
Am I losing out by not having a 22" bbl on a 30-06?
Anyone have an opinion on how the Ruger All Weather compares to the Savage Weather Warrior?

I'd prefer stainless/synthetic but the blued/wood models look quite nice, especially for the price.

Here's the catalog, Rugers start on page 46:
http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-4/index.html

I've seen Ruger make some short lived specialty models over the years. My brother has a Hawkeye stainless steel in a walnut stock! NIB from Ruger from GunBroker. There was another one the seller had also. It's a beautiful rifle too.

And if you look on the Ruger site they make specials for certain customers... down at the bottom of the model list.

They have a "compact magnum" with a 20" barrel...

http://ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/models.html

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger Compact (blue with walnut) and it had a 12 1/2 inch length of pull. That was Ok, but I eventually restocked it with a standard 13 1/2 inch LOP synthetic stock. If it's officially titled a "compact", I'll guess that it has the shorter LOP. If anyone wants the almost perfect and unmarked compact walnut stock, PM me. I'd like to get a little money for it, but I'd certainly be reasonable.

I believe someone has mis-named the rifle in queation. Ruger used to make a 77MK-II Ultralite. It was offered in blue/walnut and stainless/synthetic in 30-06 and 270, 243 and 308 with a thinner profile 20" barrel. For some unexplained reason the 30-06 and 270 were the only options in stainless, all 4 could be had in blue. They also had the same gun in the older tang safety versions and even offered a very few with 18.5" barrels and iron sights. All 20" versions are clean barrels.

My guess is that someone at CDNN just looked at a current Ruger catalog and printed the name of the rifle that came closest to matching this discontinued version.

My brother has one of the tang safety wood versions. They are a trim lightweight gun. The wood stocked versions have a trimmer stock, but I "THINK" the synthetic stocks are the same as the full size guns. The LOP on my brothers gun is standard length unlike the compact versions. I've handled a few of the MK-II ultralites and I'm almost certain the LOP is the same on those as well.

Accuracy for the 1st shot or 2 is pretty good. You will lose a little velocity compared to a 22" barrel, (50-60 fps or so). Muzzle blast is a little worse. This gun made more sense chambered in 308 than 30-06 and I've never understood why it was not offered in that chambering in the stainless versions.

Anyone have an opinion on how the Ruger All Weather compares to the Savage Weather Warrior?
I'd buy a Ruger any day over a Savage.

Call them up. Anytime I have ever called them they have been knowledgable. Nice bunch of guys. I picked up a hawkeye in .223 not long ago. It's a good gun. My local FFL said he couldn't even come close to touching their price. Not even wholesale. :eek: A buddy of mine also bought the "compact gun" in 7mm-08. It sure is alot of firepower in a small package. Almost feels like a youth gun to me, but then I'm 6'2" so I don't really like smallish rifles that much. Maybe if I was hiking the rockies I would change my tune though. Still a good gun! Just not a good fit for me.

603Country, I'm interested in your walnut stock and sent you a PM. If you didn't see it, you can email me at overunderhunter at yahoo dot com.

I stumbled on a Ruger special last month and again today. Last month's was a Ruger No. 1A in 6.5x55 Swedish. I'd wanted a No. 1 and a rifle in that caliber. Imagine both together...and for under $800.

Today I stopped in to my local emporium to see how we were doing on one of my rifles up on consignment. It was getting interest but no buyer yet (a SOCOM 16 in 98% condition I'm selling for $1,500).

As I had noticed that Ruger was going to offer their laminated stainless sporter in .280 Rem, a caliber I like, I thought I might order one if I liked the Ruger bolt action. I wanted to see the quality of a Ruger 77 in stainless and asked if they had one in. One of the clerks brought over a Ruger Mod. 77 RSI (the full stocked "International version) in stainless with nice wood in .308 Win. I heard it calling to me straight away and bought it on the spot...$759. It's superb. Turns out to be a Lipsey's special of which Ruger did a special run in .308 and I got the last one Lipsey's was showing on my dealer's system. I have a nice Leupy scope sitting on a shelf in my closet...I'm going to get it mounted by Monday and it will wait in the safe for my next range day. I had just made up a bunch of .308 Win loads for my other .308 hunting rifle so I'm good to go. Somedays, I just get lucky.

FH

The Rugers are great rifles and the All-Weathers with Zytel stocks are an excellent working-gun. If it is the ultralight, with the same barrel profile I'd probably go with the .270 if you can use that ubiquitous cartridge, but, the 20" is a decent compromise for a short barrel in .30-06. Less than that, not so much IMO.

KM77RSIMKIISdRt.jpg

In response to Warbird Lover. I'm going to go with a Leupy 2.5-8x36 scope; for such a lightweight rifle, a bigger scope would ruin it. This may be my new go-to hunting rifle.

Cheers,

Harry

PS-I was just checking Lipsey's and their site showed only 250 of these were produced (so it turns out I was lucky!). Ruger has discontinued the K77RSI for at least a couple of years now so I may have something that is actually collectible. Apparently, they order a new run each year, and they've done the 6.5x55 (gnashing of teeth, my favorite light hunting round), .257 Roberts and 7mm-08. I'll be watching for these each year now.

Last edited:
The new CDNN catalog came out the other day and they no longer list the rifle I was refering to as having a 'compact' stock. It's probably still worth asking them to clarify.

I think this may fit the bill for my "all purpose scoped bolt-action"; since I don't currently own one. Now I need to sell some stuff to fund the purchase...

Back