Ruger M77 7mm mag

jreXD9

Last wk I put some $ down on one w/scope, a trigger job (approx 3lb pull), muzzle brake. Anyone here have much experience with this rifle? Is it a booger to shoot? I've heard they're rock solid and accurate and in good hands are able to reach out and touch to 800+ yards. My uncle described them as "splendid."

They are a fine rifle in a splendid round. I've owned two of the tang safety model and both were very accurate. But shooting at 800 yards? Really calls for a different rifle in a different set up in a different cartridge. The 7Mag in that rifle is a splendid deer and elk round, within reason. The reason being darn few shooters have ANY business pulling on game that far out. Three hundred yards, perhaps. But surely not 800. It's a hunting rifle in a hunting caliber chambered for a hunting cartridge. Keep it as such and you'll never be disappointed.

The muzzle brake will help with the recoil. Mine, I just used a Limb saver recoil pad. Recoil was doable when I was younger but problems with my shoulder here recently has caused me to use a slip on recoil pad. Accuracy in mine is good with handloads. Owned mine since 93.

No need for a muzzle brake on a 7 mag. Recoil is very tolerable without one. The added muzzle blast is worse than the recoil.

I like Rugers and think the 7 mag is a good round. If you are good enough it is a 800 yard deer round and about a 600 yard elk round. The rifle, with the right ammo will get the job done. The question is, are you good enough to take advantage of the ballistics?

Yo #4 and #5, re: recoil.....now THAT's what I've been hoping to hear. Solid is fine, brutal would be no fun.

The added muzzle blast while hunting is much worse than any recoil it tames. It is OK on a range where you can wear major ear protection, but who wants to hunt with ear protection? I have a .30-06 BOSS and early on before I got the CR plug (the non muzzle brake muzzle) every year when I would kill a deer or two, my ears would ring for 3 or 4 days after those one or two shots, sometimes for a week. I was too young and dumb to know better. Older now and with some moderate hearing loss, I wish I had gotten that CR plug a lot sooner. Other things have contributed to that hearing degradation, but I am sure that 06 didn't help. Neither a 7 Mag or a .30-06 (without a brake) kicks that bad for a hunting rifle. Just be careful (with your ears) when shooting it in the field.

Back