Ruger M77/357 - I want one

Drool

Now, if ruger will just put one of these together in 327 magnum their lineup will be complete:rolleyes:

First question was "why?" Next question, after crunching a few numbers, was "why not?". May not be as sexy as a levergun but different strokes, right?

First question was "why?" Next question, after crunching a few numbers, was "why not?". May not be as sexy and a levergun but different strokes, right?

for me the "why" is easy. My father passed down a tradition of keeping your calibers simple. He told me that you need 1 hand gun caliber, 1 Big game caliber, 1 pinking caliber and 1 type of shot gun. He was some thing of a strict survivalist.

While I can admit I am tempted to buy other calibers (50 BMG) I have so far been good about sticking with my fathers teaching (my wife does not ad hear to it). It is nice to all ways have lots of ammo. I buy 1-2 boxes of each kind of ammo I own every pay day. I bet most people out that can not say that.

I currently have at least 1 long gun and 1 handgun in every ammo type I own other than 12ga (I am thinking about doing the NFA paper work on an old cheepie SXS 12 I own)

So when you ask why my response is: It all ready fits in my collection.

Why not a 92 or 94, Deja vu? Dobe? I have a set (OK, sets) of perfectly good 38/357 dies gathering dust and more than a few handfuls of 38 and 357 brass lying around so this isn't an idle question. And yes, buying a gun to go with the dies and components I have lying around is sometimes cheaper than buying a firearm in a new caliber and learning about that caliber.
I'm betting at least one of you already has a .357 levergun.

I all ready have 2 marlin lever actions in 357/38s (one with an 18 inch barrel in stainless and one with a 22 inch blue barrel) this is some thing different. I all so have 3 revolvers in 357 magnum (Smith and Wesson 640-1and 627-5 and Ruger New Vaquero) and a Coonan Classic in 357 magnum semiautomatic.

I like it cause its different than what I all ready have and it still fits in my collection.

That is a must have for me. I'm more comfortable with a bolt, like Ruger's rotary magazine, and have tons of components for the .357. Now, the only question is, will it feed .357 shorts? (.38 Special)

I'm intrigued by this and won't run right out and buy one, but won't rule out owning one sometime down the road.

I do wish that they'd opted to enter the .357 carbine market with a model 96 variant though. I do have an 1894C in .357, but I am a certified (certifiable?) Ruger nut.

I'm sure this bolt version will offer more inherent accuracy though.....

I know they have one in 44 mag... but I'd love to see one in 45 colt, or (call me a dreamer) 454 Casull. Cool, none the less, would be very curious how accurate it could shoot with reloads.

Knowing my limited experience with two M77s, the groups will be impressive, but not legendary. I would imagine they would do 100 yard 2" groups, given that it will be shooting .357 bullets. They may go tighter than that, though. With reloads, you really have the opportunity to tailor the load to the rifle. The .357 is just about the perfect handgun for the southwest. To have a companion rifle like this would be great.

When I want a rifle, I want a rifle.
That's why I prefer traditional rifle calibers like the .223, .243, .308, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and various others. I understand the concept of "keeping things simple" but for me this rifle does nothing.

I'm sure somebody will buy it, it just won't be me.

Biker

Why not a 92 or 94, Deja vu? Dobe?
I'm betting at least one of you already has a .357 levergun.

I will choose the bolt gun, because I don't have a lever gun passion. I like the potential accuracy of the bolt guns. I like the idea of a detachable magazine for different type loads also. I have and have sold lever guns. I just never warmed up to them. I almost bought a Marlin lever in .357 simply because a lever gun was about all you could find in .357. Nothing wrong with a lever gun, just not my favorite platform.. a lot more weight than needed, not the same accuracy potential, and a tubular magazine.

Now, if Ruger would make one in .45 Colt...

Range report pls.
I don't have it yet, but rather will have one.

When I want a rifle, I want a rifle.
That's why I prefer traditional rifle calibers like the .223, .243, .308, 30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and various others. I understand the concept of "keeping things simple" but for me this rifle does nothing.

I'm sure somebody will buy it, it just won't be me.
These are fun guns that can be fed cheaply. While a fun gun, it will still be capable of taking whitetail. I have a grandson, who is already 3 years old. I have to think of the my future hunting buddy...:):)

Last edited:
Hi Dobe,

You're right, in that it can be fed cheaply, and you can have ammo compatability with your handguns. We each have our reasons for doing what we do. :)

Good luck with your hunting buddy. That's what's important, not the gun.

Biker

I could go along with the 45 Colt, even the 454 Casull ideas. I even have a sweet 94 Trapper in 45 Colt but I'm with OP, there's something about a 357 carbine. I'm thinking about a 92 in 357 but a 357 bolt gun is a whole 'nuther thing. I like Dobe's idea, hope he can pull it off.
Looking forward to a field report, Dobe.

Back