ruger m77 .270 win

Kimble09

i'm looking to buy a rifle...i went to the pawn shop and found this particular rifle. in doing some research i found there are many different models of this caliber. how do i go about finding which specific model this rifle is, and is there anyway to find the year of production?? thanks for any help!

tater,
just got the serial number from pawn shop...went to the website, and found that it's a 1978 model m77 original tang safety model. .270 win caliber with a good looking scope allready attatched. they're asking $399.00, what kind of deal is that?? the gun is very clean, no scratches or grooves inside barrel, wood finish is very clean no scratches/alterations. can i get some feedback on this rifle??

thanks!

Looks like on the internet you can get them in the low $400's brand new. Maybe you can talk them down a little in price, depending on the quality of the scope.

never mind about the ruger...we went to the third pawn shop and found a british 303 no.4 mk2. all original, i paid $119, they were asking $169. my girlfriend just got through cleaning it, and we are to shoot it tomorrow morning....i'll let you know how it goes!

And I was just about to tell you how much I love my Ruger M77 308. Don't know about 270, though--it seems to get mixed reviews as a cartidge for some reason.
Are you planning to restore the Enfield rifle or just keep as is?

well, i've been thinking, this 303 is mainly for the girlfriend, she fell in love with it at first sight...so, the ruger .270-.308 m77 standard will be what i'm looking for. the looks of a gun is important to me, so i like the wood stock. sounds silly, but oh well. anyways, any suggestions on year/model ruger i should hunt for??

I have a M77 .30-06 from that era, tang safety, more push feed than positive feed, but it holds one more round in the magazine than the newer MkII's. I have used it to harvest deer and it does a great job. I bought it in 1982 on sale in the most expensive sporting goods store in town, for $275. They were going for over $300 at the time. The .270 should be a great rifle. I've not felt the need to "upgrade" to the MkII model. I believe the earlier models have a better trigger than the MkII's.

so an early 80's m77 would be a solid gun for my first deer hunting season this year?? i think the girlfriend is using the 303!

Have a Ruger M77 ultra-light in .270. It has accounted for a score, or so, of deer since I got it. I don't think you can go wrong with getting one. Mine has the tang safety, and it's trigger pull is the best of all my rifles, except for a target 22. Bought it back in 1990 or '91. Try it you'll like it.

I wish I could find another mid 70's Ruger in good condition! I got my M77 270 around 1977 or 78 and it has always been a really good gun. It shoots about 1.5 MOA with Winchester Super X white label 150 gr and then shoots 3/4 MOA when I reload them in 130 gr sierras. It shoots about 1.25 MOA with the Winchester Super X 130 gr. Which is pretty good considering I can sometimes hit a pie plate with my Winchester Model 70. :D

If you're interested, Ken Water's book "Pet Loads" has some outstandingly accurate handloads for the 270.

Back