Ruger M77 220 Swift Trigger Question

cbhester

Does anyone know a website that gives step by step directions on how to remove the trigger of a ruger m77 to file it down. I just purchased one and the trigger is a little heavy for the long distance shooting I want to do, a few days back I put it in a gun vise and removed the stock but the trigger looked a little tricky to get out. I'm not a gunsmith by no means and havn't had much experience taking them apart. Any advise or direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Rather than file it down and possibly end up with something less than optimal maybe you should look into an aftermarket trigger to put in there. There are plenty of them out there.

Another option is finding a competent gunsmith to do your trigger work and ask if you can watch and learn.

That's my suggestion based on your admission of lack of experience.

bob

First off, is the rifle in question a M77R or a M77MkII ? They are different internally and do take different triggers. If it has a tang mounted slide safety, it's a M77R. I'll be honest, if you want the best trigger you can get that will give you a "glass rod break", just get a Jewell trigger & install that one. You will find no better than that. Most of our customers when they try the trigger on one of our custom rifles, always guess the trigger pull at 2 pounds when they are set at 3. They have no over travel and no creep. Save yourself the grief & get one ordered.

Thanks for all the help. Anyone else have any suggestions on brands of triggers and which on is the best? I will look into the Jewell triggers that were mentioned, I just want to check around and make sure I get what I'm looking for. To answer the above questions, mine is an M77R with the tang safty.

Timney Triggers makes one that will fit the M77.You can also call Rifle Basix and see if they make a replacement for the M77.

If all else fails, find a good gunsmith and tell him what you want. It may be cheaper than a replacement trigger.

bob

Back