Ruger M44 automatic .44 carbine

CAK

I am considering purchasing one of these rifles. What are your experiences with the gun? Is it still in production? What would be a fair price for an excellent condition rifle? Can you fire .44 Special through it reliably? Would you consider changing the sights or adding a scope? Is it hollowpoint reliable? What hollowpoint would you consider for home defense?

------------------
El Cid '89

Sorry, no personal experience. In Phoenix area, I rarely see them at shows,$450-$500 when I do. All that I've read says that it is quite reliable, but the gas system is designed around the mag. only, not special. As to use for "inside" home defense, most any mag. load would no doubt go through the BG and continue on through one or more walls. It would seem to be OK for keeping BG's from getting TO the home, however. There may be some collector interest in this model which might influence your choice to alter it in any way. Hope this helps. :)

The Ruger carbine was one of the best kept secrets of the gun world for years. Hunters passed it by (not traditional) until someone noticed that it was a very handy bush rifle. By that time, however, it had gone out of production. The only problem with mine is that it always jams on the last round when you fully load it. Download it by one and it's very reliable. Try several hollowpoints to see if there is a variety that's feed compatible. I used 240 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints.

I'd get it if you can find it around $400-450. It will serve you well. It wouldn't be my first choice for home defense but it would certainly be effective.

I bought one of these interesting little rifles - the one with the receiver sight factory installed - when it was first introduced. It was a neat little brush rifle, but I sold it for the following reasons: 1) not very accurate beyond 50 yards, 2) perceived recoil was unpleasant for a rifle firing a .44 Magnum, 3) had bad luck reloading because in those youthful days I didn't realize I needed rifle primers for complete powder combustion. I really don't think the .44 magnum is a great hunting cartridge unless you can place shots carefully, and the inaccuracy of the Ruger made that difficult. Still, I wish I had kept this interesting little rifle.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Buzz, do you think your feeding problems could be related to a weak mag spring? What is the standard barrel length? The Blue Book listed it as 18.5" but it sure looked like a 16" barrel when I last saw one. Have you tried firing Specials through it?

------------------
El Cid '89

God are they that expensive now??? I had one a long time ago, wish I never sold it. I liked it a lot. I also thought it was pretty accurate too, but that could just be senility creeping up on me. I had a little aimpoint red dot scope on mine and it was very handy to have around. I also recall shooting some specials through it without a problem but not many. It's kind of like shooting a 10/22 only with some knockdown power and a kick. I'd buy it again if I had the chance FWIW.

Lochfal,
How did your Aimpoint hold up to the recoil? (I consider myself very fortunate having picked up an excellent condition carbine for $375 at auction recently.)

------------------
El Cid '89

Umm, they won't cycle with .44 special in them. It will shoot, but you'll have to hand cycle it (hey, I was given ~200 rnds. of ".44" and my dad's Ruger .44 magnum carbine was all I had to shoot it in - it was still fun!).

My dad's has a low power scope mounted on it, that has stayed dead on over the years. As far as accuracy goes, it's not a sniper rifle, but it's pretty good inside of 75 yds. Last time I shot it, I got bored and shot the target posts with it at about 75 yds (hey, they were my posts).

Other than that, I've carried it hunting several times, as has my father. Here in GA, the woods are pretty heavy and your vision is limited to 50 yds or so in the woods, so the range isn't a problem, if you use it for what it was designed for. I haven't killed anything with it, but he's taken a few whitetails with it. All and all, it's a neat little rifle. And I haven't had any problem feeding HP's through it.

CAK, The aimpoint did fine on it. I fired probably somewhere around a thousand rounds with it on there and still transferred the darn thing onto other rifles afterwards with no problems. The aimpoint was an old model I think either 1000 or 2000 if I remember right, the model might have been 100 or 200 I'm not sure.

Had one so long ago that the buttplate was metal, not plastic. Solid little rifle, but not very accurate or dependable. The only times it jammed were when I needed the second shot. The third time this happened I traded it even-up for a new Marlin .45-70, and have never regretted. I scoped my Ruger .44 with a neat little Weaver K1.5x, as a rear peep would have required a tall and awkward front blade replacement. A Burris or Leupold compact would be the presently available equivalent. If you handload you won't like the Ruger .44, it really tears up cases. .44 Specials turn it into a straight pull bolt action. It's way too powerful for home defense, but might do for a WTSHTF urban piece, though there are better ones for that, too...
slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

I picked one up for $275, I agree with previous notes, heavy recoil, jam on last round, but also It is a gun that needs to be kept clean, not simple to dismantle for proper cleaning

Back