Ruger LCR owners: Get a grip on that problem!

dubsRedhawk

We all know these are an awesome little revolver but the grip is a bit small and that pinky has to curl under the grip. I went on a recommendation and bought the Pachmayr Diamond Pro Grips. They are about 1/2 inch longer and a little bit wider. What an unreal difference. My pinky is now firmly on the grip and it feel more like a GP or SP gun than an LCR. Dosen't feel any different when carried in the appendix position either. Just thought I'd share on what a $22 grip change can do for the feeling of gripping this gun. I shoot it in 357 so that's a big help!

Attachments

• IMG_7682.JPG
    IMG_7682.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 203
Looks good. One reason I went with a S&W 642 instead of the LCR was that aftermarket grips like these weren't around yet. (I'm pretty picky about grips.)

Thanks for the grip information guys. With better grips available I might need to take a second look at the LCR.

+1 on the Diamond Pro. I pocket carry mine with that. I still don't like shooting .357 with it. 38+P is just fine with me.

This is interesting. One thing that blew me away about the LCR is how comfy the stock grips are. With .38 special or light .327 Federal, they handily tame the recoil and make shooting downright pleasant (even with my pinky dangling). Are these extended grips as "cushy"?

I think it's going to come down to personal preference. I shoot what I carry so I only shoot 357 though this thing. I think the stock grips are quite good for a stock grip and they are excellent for my wife who carries the 38 +P. I think this Pachmayr is extremely "comfy" and I just like having my pinky on the grip without much of a sacrifice of it still being compact as hell. The cool thing is I now have both grips to pick and choose from though I don't see the stock ones ever going back on. I'm guessing it might slightly affect you who actually carry in the pocket. I have too much trouble getting the gun out once it's slid its way down to the bottom so I appendix carry only.

If I was going to carry .357 it would be the Remington Golden Saber. That's the only .357 load I've tried in it and it wasn't "unbearable" but even that was more than I wanted to shoot more than two rounds of. :D

The Diamond Pro are great grips. I put them on my Taurus Judge PD Poly. Even with it's 2" tube it isn't exactly a deep concealment revolver so the extra size isn't a problem. But it's perfect feel is a big improvement. However, on my LCR concealment is a major factor so I went tye other direction with the even smaller tyan standard "boot" grips. Even though it only provides a scant two finger grip, the gun still shoots quite well. Plenty good for it's intended Winter coat pocket CCW use.

I've tried the LCR in several chamberings and with a variety of ammo. However ergonomic or however well the grips mitigate recoil, it's still an alloy/polymer snubbie and full-power .357 magnum is still harsh. As with anything else, it's about finding the right balance. I'm curious as to how these new grips will affect it.

I got together with a few friends earlier this year and between us, we had a few different models of LCR, all with the stock grips. We had each hunted around for ammo and we pooled what we had. Then we had a blast "blind testing" it all against water jugs (etc). There was a solid consensus that the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal offered the best balance between power and recoil on the platform.

I changed the grip for Houge(sic)
for my wife & the difference was
amazing. She actually enjoyed
going to the range with me to
practice. But as said before,
she only loads it with 38's. &
the extra 4 ozs. really helped
her. Said the balance is now
perfect for her hands.

May I ask what load in 357 you shoot/carry in your LCR?

I carry and have practiced with .357 Hornady 158gr XTP, because that's all I could find at the time. It's unpleasant to shoot and 5-10 rounds is more than enough, but I doubt that I'll notice in a defensive situation. Mostly I practice with 158gr .38 Spcl, but that's not all that much fun either.

I bought a GP100 so I could hone my speedloader skills without it being so uncomfortable. And because I wanted a nice 4" .357 range gun.

I'm currently carrying the Critical Duty or Defense. I tend to go that way with most of my guns but can't really remember just what one is in that gun. That's an up close and personal kind of gun so I'm guessing just about any round is going to get the job done. I wouldn't want to get hit by any. Just have to be aware what is on the other side of the soon to be dead guy when carrying a .357 mag.

Back