Ruger lcr, or sr9

Hey guys. You may have seen my thread earlier on the glock 17 vs the sr9. I've thrown out the glock in this thread, and replaced it with an lcr in 357 Mag. As you can see I'm a big fan of ruger. If you guys could choose between the 2. Which one would you take? Not sure which one I should buy. My dad says it's the last handgun I can get until I turn 21. Lcr will last longer? Right? Or about the same? I just want a pistol that I'll have fun shooting in my yard, but also one that can protect me if I need it to

I was just looking at an LCR the other day. I was either going to buy that or a S&W. I went with the S&W...

Lasers have never really been, "a major selling factor," for me when it comes to guns. I figured 357 was going to be a handful and I would be shooting 38 or 38 + p. Finally, the grip on the LCR is funky... All that and a bag of chips right? So then I walk away with a Smith Airweight... lol.. :-)

Really, the SR9? I believe I put my thoughts in your other thread.

For combination fun shooting and personal protection, and limiting the choices to the two that you mentioned, SR9 is the obvious answer.

^^^ Yup. I've got an LCR .38 and an SR9c. The SR9c is excellent. An LCR is just a light, easily concealed & carried 5-shot revolver.

The SR9c all the way. With the 17 and ten round mags it comes with you have a full size high capacity gun and a compact everyday carry gun. It also has a fantastic trigger. Easily the most accurate gun I've ever shot.

Won't go wrong with either one. Would you rather have a revolver or auto? Probably the first question.

A lot of bad talk about Ruger guns floats around on the internet it seems like. I really believe that many folks won't consider them because they don't have that 'police/military look' to them. :confused:

I've had a fair share of experience with half a dozen or so Ruger handguns and haven't been let down by them yet. Sure there a lower priced handgun, but I don't believe that they are of inferior quality. Maybe ugly but absolute tanks, that eat anything you feed them.

The SR9c has a great trigger, some say its better than the Glock, as well as a nice manual safety and sights. I've handled the LCR once and thought it had a pretty nice DA pull. Better than the S&W airweight.

Handle both. Shoot both first if possible. Buying a gun is always fun, so enjoy the deciding part as well. :)

I have the LCR 357 and love it. If I were to buy a Semi Auto I would love to have a SR9C. It depends what guns you have now. Buy what you don't have.

Hey guys. You may have seen my thread earlier on the glock 17 vs the sr9. I've thrown out the glock in this thread, and replaced it with an lcr in 357 Mag. As you can see I'm a big fan of ruger. If you guys could choose between the 2. Which one would you take? Not sure which one I should buy. I just want a pistol that I'll have fun shooting in my yard, but also one that can protect me if I need it to

Either will do. Either will last. The snub will be harder to shoot well (thought it would probably be my preference).

My dad says it's the last handgun I can get until I turn 21. Lcr will last longer? Right? Or about the same?

The difference in time between "old enough" and 21, isn't that great. At least that's what it seems from the vantage point of "pushing sixty".

If you get the LCR, shoot .38s out of it and it will be very comfortable to shoot. I tried a couple of cylinders of .357, that was plenty....

The LCR in .357 is vastly preferable to the .38 model due to greater shooting comfort--if you stick to .38 loads.

I personally have not been impressed by the SR series. My SR 40C was quite finicky, and I wasn't impressed by the robustness of the ejector or the trigger assembly.

Quite different ends of the spectrum there. Probably best for you to just decide for yourself what qualities matter most to you. But I'll give my opinion anyway. :)

I'm more of a revolver guy myself. But based on the criteria you listed (have fun shooting & protection), I'd say SR9 all the way. The LCR is almost certainly going to be the less "fun to shoot" of the two. And if you don't plan to carry this gun then I honestly wouldn't even have the LCR in the conversation.

Also, if it's possible for you can get your hands on one or both in person then the decision may end up being clear cut for you. Not long ago I had my heart absolutely set on a LCR. Then I actually handled one. Totally turned me off. Just didn't feel right in my hand. And on top of that, it just felt kinda... cheap, for lack of a better word. I would've been very disappointed if I had ordered one sight unseen (at least initially).

That said, it has an excellent reputation. I'm not saying it's a crap gun or anything. It just didn't do much for me personally. I much prefer the Smith J-frames.

Doesn't really matter which one you get, before too long, you will probably have the other one as well.

I have a S&W 38 Bodyguard, a S&W model 36, and a Ruger SP101 in 357. Of those I like the Ruger the best. I also have the SR9, SR9C and the Glock27 among others. I like the SR9C the best.

If you are going for a concealed carry license, a light weight gun is easier to carry, but is not as pleasant to shoot. LCR's are pretty light.

I had a 357 LCR for a carry for several years - an excellent handgun and easy carry due to weight. However, I recently traded it off and switched to a S & W Model 36 as I like it much better and am comfortable with a 38 Spl. I also have an SR9 - it too, is an excellent handgun. I've never had a lick of trouble with it. I use it for a carry as well - all depends on where I'm going to be. I went with the SR9 as if was more comfortable for me than the SR9c - but that is also an excellent handgun. I really don't think you can go wrong with either the LCR or the SR9 - it's all personal taste and what fits your needs.

Back