Ruger LCR in J frame Serpa holster?

HighValleyRanch

Has anyone tried putting their Ruger LCR into a Blackhawk Serpa holster made for the Smith J frame?
This picture is from the internet search where someone modified it to work, but didn't explain what had to be done.

Most of the holsters are either leather pancake or IWB type. Looking for an OWB kydex like the Blackhawk Serpa CQC.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 582
thanks, that's pretty close.
Looks like the retention is similar to a thumbbreak, so it wouldn't be too hard to adjust to, although with my glocks, I'm used to the serpa retention system.

I'm a big fan of the ALS for my Glock and have one ordered for an LC9s. Using it with the thumb release puts my hand in a perfect grip on the pistol.

OK, so sometimes it's necessary to answer your own thread!LOL
I found a Blackhawk Serpa CQC j frame holster on the big auction site for less than 20.00 so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Right off, it does not fit into the stock holster. But given my adventursome nature and the cheap price, with a bandsaw and a dremel, I made it work.

Had to slit down the trigger side the entire length of the holster with the bandsaw to widen it. Then dremeled out the portion by the bottom of the trigger guard so it would slide in. The cylinder and top strap and barrel all went in smoothly after the rearside cut.

Finally I used a long screw that I can adjust the width tension and the LCR fits perfectly into the holster. The serpa retention does not work, but the gun clicks nicely into retention and I can adjust the screw for the amount of click retention I want.

Carries VERY COMFORTABLE OWB and draws easily.
Like the appearance and the function, so it's a success.
My holster drawers now fill three drawers!:D
attachment.php

OH, and this is a super compact package!

Attachments

• DSC04800.JPG
    DSC04800.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
HighValley - I realize it's off topic, but had a chance to hold one of the LCR pistols this weekend and cannot get over how taken I am with it. The trigger is just great. When introduced, I had no desire for one. I actually thought they were odd [albeit love Ruger and polymer firearms]. But, was in Cabela's looking to get a 442 Airweight. The Ruger was right next to it. I know SW is a fine revolver, but that Ruger is awesome.

when I first saw them, I thought, How Ugly!
But then when you have one, they grow on you. One of the best triggers out of the box for double action, and super tough.
Sure I've owned Smiths and Colts and even an old Ruger security six, but the LCRs are what I play with the most and carry.

Back