Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan Concept...

jbcricket

I love this setup, short and handy, open sights as backup, all weather,..
only problem is i dont need a 375 cal. Anybody know of a similar rifle in something like a 30-06 or 338 win mag? Anyone know if ruger has plans of building this rifle in other calibers?

Buy a stanadard All Weather rifle in 30-06 or 338 mag. Have a gunsmith cut the barrel to the length you want and add iron sights. I bet you can do it for less than the cost of the Alaskan rifle.

ya know, that's what i've been thinking about doing. I'm trying to round up a newer win m70 action, one of the ones built by FN to build on. Havent had much luck finding an action tho, probably gonna have to buy one used and tear it down.

I like the new FN Winchesters for out of the box quality. But if you're going to have a smith go over it anyway I'd suggest looking for one of the stainless classics made in New Haven. The design is fine, but many of those guns need to be tweaked by a smith to get everything right. They also have the old style trigger which most prefer.

I've 2 that I found at bargian prices. One in 30-06 and another in 300 WSM. I paid $400 for each. I sold the factory stocks off both of them, and the scope that came on the other and put both in McMillan stocks. The 300 needed a little tweaking to get it to feed and shoot accurately, the 30-06 was a tack driver and perfect from the start. By using the funds from selling the scope and stocks to help offset the price of the McMillan stocks (both bought used by the way), I have less than $1300 in both of them. Bought new, 2 McMillan stocks would be close to $1200.

Down the road I might consider adding irons and QD scope mounts, but I'm happy with mine as they are.

Considering the M77 AW and the Alaskan have too close of an MSRP I doubt you'll be able to cut it down and add sights for the same price. While I'm sure that the M77 will cost less at the counter than the Alaskan I don't think it will be that much cheaper that you can add sights and shorten the barrel and come in less than the Alaskan.

I'd give the .375 Ruger a shot if you want a .338 Win Mag there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. In fact the .375 Ruger might perform better out of the 20" barrel better than the .338 Win. Recoil between the two is pretty negligible between the two IMO.

While it isn't Stainless Steel you can pickup a Savage Hog Hunter in .338 Win with peep sights and a 20" barrel. It isn't offered in .30-06 but you can get a .308 Win. I'd rather have the Ruger as well but it is an option if you aren't set on the Ruger.

The Winchester Mod. 70 Alaskan is available in SS with a laminate stock and available in .30-06, .300 WM, .338 WM, and .375 H&H. It comes with iron sights and a longer bbl than the Ruger. You might also consider the Ruger Compact Magnum in .300 or .338 RCM.

FH

PS-At just this moment, I love the Ruger 77RSI in .308 Win/Stainless and also have one in .270 Win in blue. !8" bbl, CRF, iron sights, and I've mounted 2.5-8x36 scopes on them. You might also consider a Ruger 77 Sporter...22" bbl, laminated stock, stainless.

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind having the alaskan in a 375 ruger or getting a 338 ruger compact magnum, its just that i'd like to build a good all around rifle patterned after the ruger hawkeye alaskan with the 20" barrel and open sights but in a more established cartridge, such as the 30-06 or the 338 win mag. Which brings us to the next question... new ruger M77 or new win M70? I've handled them both and i was impressed with the machine quality and smoothness of the forged win action. I know the ruger is quite good too tho. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy a 375 ruger... Last year a friend and i had to go after a massive mule buck he wounded down in a deep canyon, it was a difficult hike over rough terrain in the snow and i was packing my 26" barreled 338 rem ultra mag,.. this is why i'm so interested in a short barreled and preferably light weight rifle for packing, plus after owning several hard kicking large magnum rifles i think i'm over that whole thing and would be willing to settle for the good old 30-06. So now i'm trying to make the decision which rifle would best fill this role,.. any suggestions?

I understand what you are saying about wanting a more established cartridge. I don't know if the RCM's are here to stay but the .375 Ruger sure is. I don't know what kind of magnums you have shot other than your .338 RUM but the .375 Ruger is very similar to the H&H in recoil and I've found some smaller caliber magnums that have had a much sharper and harder recoil.

I haven't shot a RUM but I'm sure your .338 falls into the latter catagory. The Ruger and H&H operate in the 2600-2800 fps range, but the Ruge does it out of a 20-23" barrel vs the 24-26" of the H&H. With most bullets the Ruger shoots it will give you a trajectory similar a .30-06 with 180 grain bullets but with bullets almost 100 grains heavier delivering a lot more energy to the animal on the terminal end.

If you go with a more traditional cartridge like the .30-06 I'm not sure you'll like the performance out of a 20" barrel with it. While the .30-06 will work in a 22" or shorter barrel the cartridge really does better in a 24-26" barrel. The .308 Win is a much better choice for a 20" barrel than the .30-06 IMO. There are plenty of choices out there in .308 that make it a stellar hunting cartridge as well.

Back