Ruger GP100

Nightcrawler

I've been thinking of a wide variety of different handguns to pick up soon, but I can only get one for the time being.

I've thought about a bunch of different autos and revovlers, but one of the best-looking revovlers I"ve come across is the GP100.

I don't know, with the 6" barrel it just looks perfect. And, I'll admit, .357 ammo is a durn sight cheaper than the .44 Mag or .45 Colt I'm also contemplating....

It's tempting. The GP100 is also an affordable gun, but apparently an extrememly well built one.

I found the 6", full underlug version to be too muzzle-heavy. I have a 4" full underlug, stainless, and it's not for sale, either.

The 6" partial underlug might be a good compromise.

I have a 6" partial under lug,and love it....it was my 1st handgun and I'll keep it forever.you can shoot anything w/out worrying if itwill hold up.....although I usually whimp out and shoot 38's.but today I shot wicked hot loads,my gun seems more accurate w/ hotter loads(maybe cause I'm holding on better?):)

Here's one: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rvpages/kgpf840.html

Unfortunately, they don't have a pic of a full lugged 4" with adj. sights. Just picture the lug going to the end of the barrel on the one shown. I think the full lugged short models look better.

If no one else posts a pic of a full lugged 4" by tomorrow, I'll take a shot of mine and post it. (I can't get it right now because it is in our bedstand and my wife is asleep right now, like I should be. :) )

P1010001.JPG

I own a whole safe full of guns and my 4" GP100 would be the last to go. It has everything going for it. It is accurate, strong, just the right size to carry on the belt, nice smooth action and trigger pull, and it is easily disassembled for cleaning down to the frame. The ability to field strip it sets it apart from any other revolver offered today. The caliber is probably the best all around pistol caliber in existence. I have had a discussion several times with people about the basics of a gun collection or what handguns are must own; something to that effect. For me, the first one would be a 4" double action .357 revolver. I currently own 7 (I think). Out of the 7 the GP is the run away best.

Is that gorgeous. Wow.

The Taurus Tracker may have one more hole in the cylinder, but the GP100 has it beat hands down in the looks department. If it's like other Rugers I've handled, the trigger and action is like butter, too.

I have the blued model GP-161 and would not part with it! Accurate, good trigger (not quite as good as a S&W), built like a damn tank, inexpensive.

For best results, buy a reloading press and handload your own! My personal favorite is a 125 grain Golden Sabre JHP over 18.5 grains of Winchester 296 powder. Pushes 1600+ fps out of a 6" barrel.

I bought a used 3 inch stainless model, and love it. I also have a 101 in stainless at 3 inches, and I like it as well. but the 100 series has more weight to help slow recoil.

Just bought a new GP100 with the 6" barrel and the half lug in stainless two weeks ago. Trigger pull was pretty tight, so I changed the springs. Installed Wolf reduced tension trigger and hammer. Haven't shot it yet, so I can't comment about that. Now that I got a channce to handle it, I think that the 4" would have been a better choice. It is a heavy gun ! Might even trade the 6" on a 4" before shooting it.

I used to have a SS 4" like Whiskey's. Sold it - and have always regretted that. I'll probably buy another some day. Hmmm maybe this Saturday.;) Dang, I hate the way you guys degrade my will power and self control.

well ol' whiskey traded his off last weekend! Nothing wrong with the gun, just had a friend that wanted it real bad. He didn't have the oney to buy one so I traded it to him for a .44amg Super Blackhawk. I love single actions anyway. I would like to get a 3" or another 4" GP100 they are nice to shoot.

Nightcrawler-

You know about a year from Now you and I are going to own exactly the same guns.:) If I had the money to buy another Handgun it would be a GP-100 in .357

Back