Ruger GP100 trigger problem

Ed2000

Do any of ya'll have experience doing trigger work on Ruger GP100s? If so, could you talk me through the correction of a problem. I bought a used GP100 that has a "hard catch" in the trigger about 1/8 of an inch into the DA trigger pull. After that "catch" the trigger travels normally and things are fine. I have been told by someone (don't remember who) that the hammer was "posting" and that some part of the hammer needed a little filing or polishing. Can anyone help? If so, I will give any further details you need. Thanks.

Ed, it could also be just a burr inside the frame. I recommend a trip to your local smith. If there is any polishing to be done to the engagement surfaces it should be done by a smith. George

Or simply send it in to Ruger with a letter explaining what you want fixed. Odds are they could fix it at minimal cost. It could just be a rough one or (worst case) a previous owner might have gotten into it to 'improve' it.

If you can find a GOOD smith, you are fortunate; usually it is a shot in the dark. I do happen to have a GP with a fantastic DA but the guy that did it for the previous owner is no longer in business...

------------------

Ed, I'd send that GP off to Ron Power of Power Custom: http://www.powercustom.com/

I used to live in Jefferson City, MO, near Ron's shop. He is a wizard with Rugers. I have two GP-100's that Ron's worked on, and I wouldn't trade one for a Python, holster, ammo, and money!

Back