Ruger GP100/Speed Six question

Wheelgun75

Inactive
Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference in size between the GP100 series and the now defunct Speed Six. A friend of mine had a Postal Inspector Speed Six and the size was just perfect for me. But since they don't make em' anymore I thought I'd just get a GP100 with a 3inch barrel. What's the difference in size if any?

Ditto on function and feel

The GP is, however, thicker in the frame and cylinder resulting in a heavier package than the older Speed Six. You know, there are many of those to be found on the used market, if that's what you really want.:)

Besides reengineering the gun, the advantage of the GP/SP series is in its stem type grip which allows for customized grips. While the older Security/Speed Six series could have customized grips, you could only get it so small before you had to remove metal. BTW, the frame was small enough that I doubt if anybody ever had to do it.

There is a tradeoff...

The GP100 can take a decent diet of hot loads that would slowly stretch a Security/Service Six's frame or eat it's forcing cone.

If you want an "outdoorsman's gun", buy a GP100. It'll take hot hunting loads that simply shouldn't me fed to the older series.

As a personal defense gun, the older series is quite good, just do most of your practice in .38/.38+P.

comparing their frame size, the security/speed/service six is a bit beefier than the smith k-frame while the gp100 is python/l-frame sized.
if by "right size" you mean grip size, the grip on a gp100 can be carved down to fit your hand and the trigger reach can also be adjusted...the advantage of the "post" mounting
if you are refering to the cylinder/frame width, you need to start looking for a police trade in
my favorite is a stock speed-six (because i like roundbutt guns) and a security-six with a python barrel swapped in

Back