Ruger GP100 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLOCKLOVER

I just bought a new NIB Ruger GP100 .357 for $350 , was that a fair price? Also what is your thoughts on this peice good or bad please explain....... thanks in advance

------------------
G17 THE BEST THERE IS.THE BEST THERE WAS,THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!

Haven't checked in a few years, but there used to be several variations of this gun, from blued to stainless and some others differences. Some were slightly more expensive than others. I think you're in the ballpark. Others will speak with more authority on the pricing.

As for the gun itself, my experiences have been very positive. Subjectively, the grip is one of the best ever for me, fitting me very well. Also, the guns have a rep for strength. The one I am familiar with is very accurate, though the Sa trigger pull is too heavy (compared to Smiths). It is a "clean" trigger, though, and that helps immensely.

Where I live, a new GP-100 would have cost me around $420. So I'd say you got a pretty good price (from my perspective at least). The GP-100 is a fine and extremely sturdy revolver. Will take one hell of a beating. Haven't heard anything bad about it either. My first two choices for .357 Mag revolvers would be that and the S&W 686. I got the 686 only because the stock trigger pull is a bit lighter on the 686. But if you prefer a lighter trigger pull, you can always get a lighter hammer spring for your Ruger. Enjoy your new fine gun. It will give you years and years of service, and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Good price, good weapon.

I had one for a couple of years. Sold it. Got a Kahr K9. I'm just not a wheel gun guy.

Mine was quite accurate, the trigger pulls weren't too awful bad. But what impressed me the most was that it was built like a tank. You could easily pistol whip a dirtbag to death with that thing (it would take much more effort with a lighter pistol, like a Glock, for example).

Just kidding y'all.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

having recently picked one up myself I can tell you that this revolver is RUGGED.

I was always an automatic kind of guy, until my grandfather told me some wwII stories how the only weapon he COMPLETELY trusted was a Smith & Wesson .38 special revolver. Gave me an excuse to get a new gun. Well used, ($250 an old cop trade in. Some wear on the grips but thats about it)

Anyhow this Ruger has me turning into a wheelgun fan. I've pumped about 8 boxes of .38s through it and a box of the .357s (my ammo for the unlucky felon that attempts to burglarize my house)

The GP-100 was my second handgun and my second revolver. Mine has a three inch heavy barrel, fixed sights, and a blued finish. Excellent sidearm and it served me well until I started experimenting with the .41 Magnum and the autos. This was the gun that made me a wheelgunner at heart.

Nowadays I tote the other guns as the GP-100 has not been slicked up and looks rather plain next to some of my custom guns. So I sent mine off to Ron Powers for a slick up and a new coat of blue. I'm also looking into some slick white micarta inserts for the rubber grips that I can have scrimshawed.

Overall, an excellent shooter that won't fail you. Good choice.

- Anthony

Mine cost me $324.00 in San Francisco, CA.

It was on sale....down 10% from original cost.

Bought it earlier this year.

I am happy with it.

Duncan

GP-100 is my "Numero Uno" - stainless steel and 3" bl. (about as short as a 357 should go in my opinion) - when i'm feeling inclined toward a semiauto, its a SIG P220. The Ruger is an excellent revolver, accurate enough and yes, tough.

Yeah, that's a good price. I've got a GP100 blued, 4" bbl, full underlug, adjustable sights. The factory grip looks good but I put a Hogue Monogrip on it and it feels great. My wife even prefers my gun to hers! (She's got a LS65 in 357 mag but shoots .38's). The GP100 is a heavy gun and really takes the recoil.

If I were to get another, It would be stainless with fixed sights, 3 or 4 inch bbl with full underlug.

Here's a blued 3" with full underlug (shroud)
gpf331b.gif

------------------
Blackie
NRA, GOA, ISRA

I have the 3 inch, fixed sight, full lug, stainless steel model; great gun. BTW, I think this is still std issue for the US Marshals service, though most buy autos to carry (issue ammo for it used to be the WIN 110 SJHP)?

Did have a friend who blew up a new GP100 cylinder w a bad load; Ruger replaced it free.

------------------
>>>>---->

IMHO, Ruger revolvers are the toughest, most reliable revolvers. Period. Congratulations on your purchase of what should be an excellent handgun.
The grip of the GP-100 is identical to the grip of the Super RedHawk. Personally, i didn't like the rubber grip with the wooden insert -- the composite grip never felt right. Too many textures in too small a place. If you have the same problem, try the Hogue soft rubber monogrip. It gives many shooters a more comfortable hand position; the only disadvantage would be if you planned to carry concealed, since the monogrip is a tad longer than the stock grips.

According to my local gunshop, you got a pretty good deal on the price, as well...

Of all revolvers, foreign and domestic, Ruger is the toughest. It has neither the best trigger nor the best finish, but it takes the most abuse and will still perform for you.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back