Ruger GP100 44 Spl.

Call it the ".44 Special Centennial?"

elmoh---

I confess my ignorance--I'm not sure I've ever even handled a GP100, far less shot one. I know this model is a lot beefier then the Security Six/Service Six, which were/are good guns. SO, my question is, would a .44 Spl cylinder in that frame size accept six rounds? Or would it be a five-shooter?

If the latter, then you MUST be talking about a custom or group-produced customized revolver. I think Ruger has committed to "never" producing a five-shot, big bore revolver--Hence, the .480 Ruger. It had to be a six shooter, and so had to be less powerful than the .476, and .500 Linebaugh was out of the question.

I guess I'd be interested in a .44 Spl six shot, if equal to or lighter weight than the S&W Mountain Revolver. I don't care for a heavier-but-less-powerful handgun. But I'd like a six shot, medium-power field gun. Thought I'd love the S&W L-Frame five shot .44 Spl--don't recall model number--but decided I didn't like it, pre-Betrayal.

(Yes, friends--I know that Bill Ruger did his own sell out thing, but he was always up front about it, and a lot more above-board than S&W. Old philosophy: Disagree with me right from the git-go, and we might still find room to talk. Come behind my back with treachery, and you must watch YOURS for a while. Decades, anyway.) [/soapbox]

Best,
Johnny

Johnny Guest:

More than likely it would be a 5 shoot. like the S&W 696. I have 2 Taurus Model 431, I just wish they were a little beefer like a ruger.

[Edited by elmoh on 05-19-2001 at 04:36 PM]

I have a Rossi 720 5 shot .44 special stainless that is really accurate and pleasant to shoot. It is my carry gun. Even though it is only 5 rounds it should only take one to get the job done!

RAY WOODROW 3RD:
I went to Rossi's website and didn't see the 720 listed, I guess they discontinued it.

Yep, the Rossi 720 is pretty decent for the $200 price tag. Mine has fixed sights, but I've also seen them with adjustables.

I wouldn't. I already have a couple of Smith&Wesson .44 specials in that size of a gun. Let's see there's the 696, 396, and even the M24. Getting a Ruger would be going backwards. Life is too short to own ugly guns therefore the Ruger doesn't make the grade.

"Life is too short to own ugly guns therefore the Ruger doesn't make the grade."

Speaking of ugly, the S&W 396 has got to be the ugliest gun S&W or anyone else ever made.

Back