Ruger GP100: 4" or 6"

Shmackey

What are the benefits of the 6", apart from looking better? I would think that with .357 ammo, muzzle velocity is not an issue. The 4" seems to have better balance.

I have a 6 inch GP100 and it is muzzle heavy. If you are going to shoot a lot of magnum loads, you may do better with a 6 incher. If the revolver is also going to be used for defense, then the 4 inch takes the prize.

Heya Shmacky :) I had this same question in regards to barrel length after I decided the GP-100 was right for me. After researching the archives here, at Glocktalk.com, and at rugerforum.com I bought a 6" GP (KGP-161).

My reasons for this are: I live in Illinois and they do not allow Concealed Carry and I intend to use my revolver for target practice and hunting occasionally. It is my understanding that you get an average of 50fps. more per inch of barrel and I will take that advantage in the field hunting animals. I don't think this matters as much if you intend to carry your weapon in public. The fella I bought the gun from also mentioned that you may get tighter shot groups since there is more room between the front and rear sights.

Also, my 6" handles magnum rounds of various sizes like a champ. I could see it being described as "muzzle heavy" but I like shooting magnum rounds whenever possible. I seriously doubt that the 4" would perform any differently, save how it handled the recoil.

Ultimately I think either would be a safe bet, I really like mine :p I remember reading many many times that people said if they could only have one gun or one revolver in their collection it would be a 4" GP-100!! Hope this helps. Take Care.

Last edited:
The 6" will be easier than the 4" to shoot accurately.

You should get another 100fps. out of the 6".

I have and love a full shroud 6" model.
It is a touch muzzle heavy, but I bought the full shoud model for just that reason. When shooting the hotter loads, your wrists WILL thank you for that extra weight.

Stupid question from someone who owns no revolvers: what good is a full shroud compared to the short one? I'd think it'd make it even more muzzle heavy.

Apperance, mostly. The full shround also helps put wieght on the muzzle to help with recoil. I also am having the same dilemma, but I think I will go with the 6" just because a friend has a 6", I have shot it and I like it alot, esp. with the hogue monogrips he has on it...

I have the 4 inch model and it shoots as accurate as I am. I find it easier to carry on my hip. The barrel doesn't always pick my gun up off the bench when I sit. The 4 inch is very well balanced and a great overall gun.

Zips2.jpg

Somes states (like Ohio) require a minimum barrel length (5", I think) to hunt deer with a handgun. I know some people will argue that a .357 mag is too little gun for deer anyway but thought I'd throw out the idea just in case you wanted to use it for hunting also.

Those are Hogue grips. The box they came in says Pau Ferro, but they don't look the same as the Pau Ferro grips I just received for my 48...?! They are lighter in color and have a redish tint. I think someone at the gunshop "traded" the original grips and returned the package. Their loss!! :D

Bob

My first full sized revolver was a S&W 686+ 6". I like it, but doing it over again, I'd probably opt for a 4" barrel, becaues it balances a little better in my hand. It's also much easier to find leather for and to carry a 4" revolver. If it's for hunting, 6"+ definitely, but for carry and general training, I'd go with 4".

I know... I know...

This thread was about GP-100 barrel length and then everyone jumps in about their preferences for whatever the primary use of the gun.

This is precisely why I love my Dan Wesson! I just change barrels to suit the situation. 4" full underlug for portability, 6" full underlug for more serious accuracy work, or the 8" no-lug for extreme accuracy and downrange energy. I'll be taking the 8" incarnation with me come Monday for opening day....

You can also get a 2" tube, but a DW is a rather large frame gun (a shade bigger than a S&W x86) so a 2" barrel isn't really gaining you much concealability. I have a small frame five shot stainless revolver for that.

BTW, another poster stated the requirement for a minimum barrel length for hunting. In Ohio it is 6".

Back