Ruger GP-100 without the full underlug....

makarov

I have seen these guns listed in the catalog, yet every gun I see in the store has the full underlug. Is there any advantage to the full underlug design? I actually like the way the 6" barrel looks without the full underlug design. Makes it look less heavy. In shorter barrels I like the full underlug. I think it looks kind of funny to just have a small amount of barrel sticking out in front of the ejector rod. Anyway, does anyone on here own a partial lugged Ruger GP series?

I don't care for them at all. IMO, it adds a muzzle-heavy feel that just throws off the balance. The trouble with the Rugers is, you can get the short lug only in a fixed sight format. Also, the GP with fixed sight has a slightly more compact grip than the adj. sight model. I don't know why, unless the assumption might be that the fixed sight model may be more apt for use in a CCW role. Then again, I guess ole' Bill is no friend of CCW in general.

Actually, you can get the short under-lug with adjustable sights in the six inch version. I have a six inch GP-100 with the full underlug which I bought because that is what was in the store at the time. It is a great shooter and I don't really plan to get rid of it but have looked at a couple of the short-lugged six-inchers and agree that they look better and (to me) have great balance. I also agree that the short-lugged three inch is a great looking revolver. Heck, I just like GP-100s. Lazarus

I remember when ...

I bought my GP-161 with full lug, the half lug is the GP-160 if memory serves. The store I purchased it from ran a range and rented guns. I rented a 6" half lug GP-100 with adjustable sights. It shot great and I liked it so I bought mine -- rental was free with purchase. That gun was a late '80's version and had ~25,000 rounds through it. It had been cleaned a lot but no parts had failed. It shot great. I really like the full lug though 'cause it tames the recoil enough that full loads don't induce that tendency to flinch. Makes for much better groups.

Back