Ruger GP-100 Vs other .357 revolvers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTW

Inactive
Just wanted some opinions on the GP-100. What are its weaknesses to others (S&W, Colt, Taurus)? Is it worth it? How about customer service? Is it particular with ammo if so what kind?

The GP100 is built with the same features as the Ruger Super Redhawk. Very Strong and durable. Don't waste time with Colt, they are gone with the wind. Tauras makes a large number of .357 that have been proving themselves to be very accurate (some articles claim S&W performance center accuracy?). For the money S&W is still providing the best out of the box performance of the guns you have mentioned. All these companies provide good customer service and life time warranties.
The greatest advantage .357 has over ALL handgun cartridges is its diversity. It can shoot from light target and plinking loads to full house defensive and hunting loads. No other cartridge has such a broad range of power. Other than finding good ammunition for a specific requirement, be it hunting, defense or target, the best ammunition is the least expensive one. That way you can practice.
The GP100 is a fine firearm. Good luck.

Robert

Ruger builds their guns extemely well, they really are tough. The GP-100 is no exception. It just seems more robust and solid than other revolvers that I have shot.

Greetings MrTW; First, let me state that
Ruger makes fine firearms. With that said,
I prefer Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum caliber
revolvers. It really depends on your preference, and what the weapon will be
used for? If you are into formal type
competition; you may want to look into
the possibility of procuring an "older"
Smith & Wesson Model 27 or 28, in the
6" barrel length? Both are excellent
guns; that will handle the milder .38
Special as well as the .357 magnum's.
Try 'em all; buy the one that suits
you and your hands the best !!!

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

MrTW

Choose the S&W 686 or the GP100 (whichever feels best to you), and don't look back. You will have made a superb choice. (Can't speak to the Taurus.)

Regards,
MLT

I'll cast my vote for the GP-100. I have had one for over 5 years now and have never had a complaint. The only disadvantages I can see it having over the SW or Taurus is that it's trigger may not be as crisp and it's looks take a little getting used to. I think that these problems are offset by the flexiblity of the ruger in the grip and sight range. I personally prefer it over the Smith because it satisfies my need for an extremly durable feeling revolver. The smith always exuded an aura of refinement that just wasn't for me.

I always liked S&W's better than anything out there , then I got a GP100 . The GP100 is an excellent handgun , mine is smooth and very accurate , plus I believe it is the strongest one out there . Good luck , Mike...

You'll probably find the factory trigger on the Smith a little nicer than the Ruger. A gunsmith can make it pretty, though. I've heard Taurus is getting better, but some of their triggers feel like you're like pulling a cinderblock down a gravel road.

The Smith 686 now comes in a 7-shot version as does the Taurus. Don't think Ruger is there yet.

Own two SS 4" heavy lug adjustable sight GP100's. I could have bought any brand but I'm performance oriented, so I got the Rugers. They seem to shine with 140g and 180g jacketed bullets, and work well with 158g lead, too. I've also recorded 5/8" groups using 158g swaged lead in 38 cases over mild loads of Universal Clays.

They will outlast your grandchildren.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I too own a GP-100 in .357. Mine is fitted with a 3" barrel, fixed sights, and the compact style grips.

As you have already heard the GP-100 has earned a rep for being one of the strongest if not THE toughest .357 revolver out there. The reason this particular design is so strong is no mistake. If you notice the revolver has no screws... is really is a SOLID design(slight pun intended).

I consistently load mine with 110gr magnums as I use it for home defence (I hope I get the opportunity to plug my ears before I have to shoot indoors).

If you are considering a medium frame .357, my first choice would be a GP-100. Yeah maybe the Taurus and Smiths have better triggers and are a bit more handy (the GP-100 is not a small gun), but my bet would be if you were shoot all three side by side to see which one failed first, the Ruger would be the last one standing.

Ain't that why you buy a revolver...power and durability!!!

AS far as ammo, my 110gr mags seem to hit pretty close to point of aim. This ain't no target arm, strictly combat and field work. I would have no problem loading any FACTORY load in .38 or .357 magnum.

Ruger customer service is quite good. My Dad is one of the many individuals who sent in his old three screw SA .22. Not only did ruger install the new safety system, but they reblued the gun too. The gun is now about 30 years old. Not bad!!!

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited November 19, 1999).]

once you get the ruger youll want to change the springs, once you shange the springs youll notice the rough trigger.

other than that, a nice gun, i do think the SW would have a better trigger.

.357 loads seem tame in the ruger

ps IMHO the toughest strongest most durable .357 revolver is the Ruger Redhawk!

But I only have one of those.........

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

For ruggedness, nothing absorbs punishing and keeps working like a Ruger. Nothing.

While I would prefer a Ruger for a woods gun, drop and abuse gun, kick around and fall down gun, the S&W has a much better trigger pull. The quality on the S&W is also better today than it was in the early '90s. (But for silky smooth, Python rules - OK, the German Korth is up there too).

The one gun I can't stand is Taurus. Sure they're not as costly as S&W, but S&W has better internal parts with an added internal safety feature - something which Taurus use to have in their earlier guns but deleted to make more cost competitive. Unless I got one dirt cheap, I'd go S&W over Taurus.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

You could buy a Smith instead if you don't mind: #1 The firing pin is on the hammer and they break from stress. #2 The cylinder hand is fragile. #3 If you reverse the sideplate screws during reassembly the gun will work fine except the cylinder will fall off when you open it. #4 It uses a weak sideplate design to hold the interrnals in. #5 Unlike the ruger it comes apart in pieces not as a trigger subassembly for cleaning. #6 It locks up on the end of the ejector rod instead of the crane like the ruger. So if you bend the rod the cylinder will bind. #7 They use flat mainsprings which break as opposed to Ruger's coilspring which never break. Also GP-100's have a reputation for accuracy which Smith due to quality control problems sometimes do and sometimes don't. If you get one e-mail me and I will tell you how to smooth it up without messing with the important parts. Mine amazes people with its smoothness and I spent less than an hour on it. I went to Ruger's armorer school.

Protoolman,

I'm very happy with my Ruger GP-161, which
I think has at least very good trigger, but
I would be happy if you could share your knowledge on smoothing it even more. I have 1996 High Gloss Stainless, and it is just beautiful piece, both in term of accuracy,
strength and looks.

I have considerable experience customizing
guns, but have no practical experience with
Ruger revolvers tune-up.

Thanks in advance.

Oristep@cs.com

OK on smoothing up a Gp-100. I'll assume you know how to get the hammer strut out. Now polish the edges of it so the spring slides over its surface smoother. Then carefully polish the ball on the end that the hammer rubs on. Put a little gunslick on it. Then dry fire a lot to get the action parts to wear off the sharp edges a lot. Don't lighten the trigger return spring. I find that just makes the trigger return slow and sluggish. Back off to the medium spring in a Wolf spring kit if you must on a Main spring. Thats the quick and dirty tricks anything more should be done by an expert in the field.

Yes the SP-101 is the same procedure. I also do something to all my brands of revolvers. I blister my trigger finger if I shoot a lot so I use a dremel tool or you could use a file, and put a little radius on the sqare edge of your trigger on the right edge if you shoot right handed. Your trigger finger doesn't suffer so much with getting rubbed under heavy recoil. Just round the edge a bit.

Remember the GP-100 will never have the light trigger pull of a Smith for one very good reason. The bearing surfaces are larger to make it much stronger. Personally I go for smooth not light. If you need to shoot accurately cock it first. My Gp and SP were both very accurate from the time they were new. Rugers seem to get smoother with use so the easiest action job you can do is dry fire it a lot. I have never seen a Ruger worn out so dont worry. Mine shows no wear on the GP-100 and it is at probably 7 to 8 thousand rounds of jacketed 125 grain factory ammo and 3 thou lead handloads. That usually will flame cut the top strap on a S&W pretty bad. Mine still cleans up like new. Except the rubber grip. I have carried it so much on duty my jacket is starting to wear down the rubber on the right side of the grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back