Ruger GP-100 Hogue grips

arquebus357

Just picked this up from Gun Brokers ( Model GP-340 ) The Hogue grips, to me, were pretty ugly...overly fat, too long, poor fitting. I did like the wood though so I decided to try and save them. First I removed about 1/4" from the bottom. I was actually able to reuse Hogue's attachment system with a shortened screw. ( messed up with a forstner bit so I had to use a flat washer instead of a ferrule ) I removed a lot of fat especially behind the hammer strap. Good news is that Hogue did not use any stain so I was able to just sand down to 400 grit and apply some True Oil. Last I cut some pockets and Installed ruger medallions. The grips still don't fit very well but I think I can live with them.

Nice job.
Been considering the same thing myself. I picked up a Hogue “lamo camo” Wood monogrip. I liked the way they looked on my 3” GP100, but they are just too thick at the top for the web of my hand.
I did give them a try at the range, and found they were kinda punishing...and I’m a shooter who usually doesn’t mind wood grip magnums. Shooting a 2.5” Model 19 with the smaller Magna grips is no problem for me, in fact I prefer them.
So, for now, the compact rubber Letts or the rubber Hogue are on my GP100. Maybe I will see if I can contour the the wood Hogue and thin it a bit.

Thanks..

This is how far I reduced the top of the grip. I plan to fill in the ugly gap and color match with oil paint. Ditto for the gap at the trigger guard. Don't know why the wood in the photo looks so red...Canon program I guess. I'm wondering if the gaps are because my gun is blued rather than stainless. I have read that the SS guns are a bit larger than the carbon steel guns.

The Hogue laminates are resin infused so you are free to modify all you want and still get back to the factory finish.

Last edited:
Back