Ruger GP-100 accuracy?

AzFAL

Inactive
I got a new GP-100 a couple months ago. I first sighted in at about 15 yds. & was getting about 2"groups. I put about 50 rnds. thru it that day.

Last Fri. We went out shooting, same ammo, & just set up some targets to knock down probably out to 25 yds. & to my amazement couldn't hit a thing, literally. They were a little bit farther than where I'd 1st sighted in at but I'd think I'd at least be in the ball park. I know w/ my 1911 .45 I'd have had no problem. I'm actually a pretty good shot.

Anyone else had such varying results in accuracy w/ these revolvers w/ different distances?
How accurate are these guns? I'm going to go to an indoor range next week to see if the sights may have moved.:confused:
Thanks,
Dave

When I plink at aluminum cans and plastic bottles, I tend to concentrate less and miss more often.

When I practice on paper targets, I can usually get a better sight picture. Also, the paper target gives you a good record of your shot placement, so you can correct your errors while you are shooting.

I like to place my paper targets 7 to 10 yards away. I can see every shot hit the target, providing me with instant feedback on my accuracy.

-Mk. IV

I OWN TWO

Both 4", both stunningly accurate with more than one load or bullet weight.

Wiley Clapp has tested over a dozen; all have given perfect accuracy with at least one load.

Generally one of THE MOST ACCURATE out-of-the-box 357 revolvers.

Strongly agree with Weshoot2. The tightest non-target revolver groups I'v ever seen were out of a GP-100.

Putting that GP-100 on paper will tell you what's happening. May be as simple as having to adjust (fine tune) your sights.

What were you shooting at and where were the rounds going?

Giz

You probably did not bench rest while shooting at 'knock down' targets. Before blaming the Ruger, bench rest on a target at that range. May be some trigger actuator problems. The trigger pull on the 45 is straight back, on the revolver the pull is somewhat arced. This difference may be affecting your accuracy, not the gun's.

Was shooting at about 1 foot dia. alum. discs. Maybe I just need to get more used to the trigger pull. Will be going this Thurs. to an indoor range & using paper to see where exactly my shots are going.

From everones input it sounds like it's me & not the gun.
Good, I can change me. the gun would be a bit more difficult.;)

I'll post results again by Fri. night. Thanks everyone.
Dave

Well I am happy to report my confidence has been restored in my new Ruger GP-100. Went last night (Thurs.) to the range. Boy is it accurate. I did have to adjust my sights quite a bit. Sighted in at 50ft. & was getting 2-3" groups.

I must have just sighted in at too short of distance the 1st time I'd taken it out to shoot.

Happy Blastin'
Dave

Back