Ruger EC-9s question on the frame pins?

Recoil spring

I am thinking of buying one of those Ruger 9 mm compact pistols, the reviews and the price are right. Until recently I had a Ruger LCP in .380 and decided to sell it and use my Kahr CW 380 instead.

Also, the frame pins kept walking out on me when I shot the Ruger, and the main steel pin backed almost all the way out with only 3 mags put through it. Felt that a gun that essentially takes itself apart while shooting so little ammo was a bad deal. However, it was very reliable and a great carry gun for years.

The 9 mm EC-9 also has those side pins, but the main barrel locking pin is more secure than the LCP. Anyone find the side pins to walk out on them while shooting this gun?

Thanks.

LC9s, after a couple thousand rounds or so, never a problem with the pin moving ever. Other than a very small window to remove the pin for take down, the pin is kept in place by the slide over riding it. Actually the slide placement for removing the pin is pretty specific and kind of makes it a pain to disassemble the gun, my one and only very minor complaint about the gun.

On LCP's many times. I learned to replace the take down pin every 500 rds along with the recoil spring. On some LCP's the retainer spring would break. Had one that happened to me and had to have it sent it. Other owners the same. They are prone to breaking. The rear Pin on the LCP was known to walk. Always checking that as well. LC9S was not a problem, but did always replace the take down pin on service intervals.

Since you like the Kahr, which is a excellent well built 380 built with steel parts and steel reinforced inserts in the grip, maybe think of getting the CM9. You would also be getting he same trigger from Both guns. I think a little more money would go along way in durability and longevity. JMO

Back