Ruger DA Gunsmithing Info

Gordon Hanson

I ordered the Kuhnhausen book from MidwayUSA, only to discover that it (Vol. I) dealt with the Six-series.

Not being deterred, I went in search of Vol. II, covering GP100's, Redhawks and SRH's. It isn't available new, so I searched on Bibliofind and found one dealer with the two-volume set.

When I called to check, Vol. II turned out to be the Colt Vol. II. So it turns out the guy at Heritage Publishing knows what he's talking about when he told me Vol. II had never been published.

Which brings me to the point: is there any source of gunsmithing information for late-model DA's?

To quote from Kuhnhausen's introduction to Vol. I:

"Although evolved directly from the Six-series revolvers, the Redhawk, Super Redhawk, and GP100 series double action revolvers are design updated and different enough to form their own distinct group, and are fully discussed in Vol. II."

What do you use as a reference work?

Ruger Armorer's manual.

There are some major engineering changes which differentiate between the old SS series and the GP/SP series with the Redhawk can be seen as an interim design. This includes a modified lockup for the cylinder (locks at crane instead of ejector rod); new trigger group and on a lesser scale, more versatile grip design.

Back