Ruger cylinder interchangability

Hutch

I have this friend (No, really, it's true) who has a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 4 5/8's bbl in .45 Colt with an ACP cylinder. Does anyone know, or have an opinion they can defend, whether the ACP cylinder could be used in a different .45 Colt Blackhawk? Specifically he's looking to buy a 7 1/2 inch in .45 Colt, with no ACP cylinder. D'ya think he could use the ACP cylinder from the 4 5/8's BH in the 7 1/2?

I wouldn't without having it checked by a good gunsmith.Timing might be off and cyl gap.Unless he is real lucky it will not be a drop in.

Don't count on it fitting. The convertibles cylinders are matched to a specific gun at the factory. My dad has consecutive serial number Blackhawk convertibles in 357/38/9mm and the cylinders are not interchangable. If he wants another cylinder, either send the gun back to Ruger, or order a cylinder from Brownells and take the gun to a good smith. Please note that if the gun has any custom parts or action work, Ruger will replace the parts with originals.

RUGER CONVERTIBLE CYLINDERS

The 45ACP cylinder from my 4 5/8" OMBH 45COLT fits the 7 1/2" OMBH 45COLT just fine and shoots equally as well.
The 22MAG cylinder from my 1965 OM SINGLE SIX fits the 1993 SS NM BISLEY SINGLE SIX better than the original 22LR cylinder and shoots better to boot [ and I never have to wonder which is which as one is blue and one ain't ]. No doubt I've been a bit lucky with these but I know of many others as lucky. TM

Hutch,

I have a Blackhawk convertible and it's .45 acp cylinder works fine in my Bisley Vaquero. (I had to try it atleast once)

No hard and fast rules here. It's just gonna be the luck of the draw on parts matching up for your friend.

Good Luck...

Joe

Back