Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine

antenna

Anyone have any idea what the recoil is like with a Blackhawk in .30 carbine? Seems like an interesting round for a handgun. Anyone shot one or own one? Antthing good/bad/about this round?

------------------
"Stop forest fires--ban matches."

Well, I know they're loud.

The cartridge is primarily a plinker. It's marginal for hunting, even in a rifle. A 6" .357 will provide the same or better velocity with a 110-grain bullet, and obviously can be loaded with heavier bullets for hunting and self-defense.

A 110-grain hot load in a .357 is not particularly notable as to recoil, so I'd guess the Ruger pistol in .30 carbine would not, either.

It would be a reasonably fun plinker, and with handloads would make a good rabbit/coyote collector, at closer ranges.

FWIW, Art

Well, I know they're loud.

The cartridge is primarily a plinker. It's marginal for hunting, even in a rifle. A 6" .357 will provide the same or better velocity with a 110-grain bullet, and obviously can be loaded with heavier bullets for hunting and self-defense.

A 110-grain hot load in a .357 is not particularly notable as to recoil, so I'd guess the Ruger pistol in .30 carbine would not, either.

It would be a reasonably fun plinker, and with handloads would make a good rabbit/coyote collector, at closer ranges.

FWIW, Art

Don't have any personal experience on this question but I do recall someone else asking the same question on another board. They said the muzzle blast was tremendous and it was very, very loud out of the Ruger sixgun. Ought to be impressive at night. I've only shot varmits with M-1 Carbine and the results on armadillos was devastating. Guts on the half-shell. Visually the damage was the same as my Mini 14 on the above mentioned armadillos. I also read on another board that Smith & Wesson made a few Military revolvers based on the M-1 Carbine round. Very, very rare. JohnH

You'd get higher velocity than .357 (2000fps nominally, maybe 1700-1800 actually) but at a cost:

major muzzle flash and noise because the powder charge is meant for a longer barrel (unless you reload your own)

limited bullet selection unless, again, you reload

Seems .357 would make more sense...

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

the recoil of the 30 in the AMT autopistol chambered for that round is quite mild. of course, that gun is pretty heavy, longslide and all that.

somwhere on the web I read an article about the 30 in the Blackhawk, and the author enjoyed his. very flat trajectory. good varmint gun, but not suitable for deer according to most folks.

I'm kinda thinking about this combo as well.

If you have the chance to buy one DO IT! It is the most fun shooting, accurate revolver around. No it does not kick and there is very little blast and flash. It is a plinker, that is limited by the roundnose fmc type bullets that are available. I loved mine, very easy to reload for. State made me sell it to support my ex-wife. Now I will never get another for what I had invested in that one. Great gun.

Hey Ken, do you work at Brownells?!?

antenna, if you can pick one up resonably I'd grab it. They are starting to bring a slight premium and will probably only go up.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Back