Ruger Blackhawk help

falconer

Ok, so my father and I have a couple old model Ruger Blackhawks (.41mag and .45LC). One of them needs a replacement part, however, Ruger will not sell me them unless I give them the serial number of the gun to verify it has recieved the safety conversion. This causes 2 problems, 1) I'm at school and don't have the serial # handy 2) this gun hasn't had the safety conversion and quite frankly I don't care to have it done. It's mostly a range gun, and if its carried its always on an empty chamber.

All I need is the spring & screw that you push in to release the cylinder pin. These are stupid 50 cent parts but I can't buy them. Does anyone know of a gunsmith or shop that might have these handy so I don't have to deal with Ruger?

Ship The Sixguns Back!!!!

The accident you prevent may be your own, they'll install the transfer bar conversion and ship the original parts back which may be fropped back in for a collector. While the guns are at Ruger why not have them refurbished and blued for an very reasonable cost?

I don't think that I would have them reblued or refurbished if they have any collector value at all.

Just my .02

Raider

Brownells had the parts I needed. Like I said, I don't have any real reason to send the guns in to Ruger for a safety feature that I don't want/need.

"Safety feature?" More like "lawsuit protection feature". I have yet to shoot a New Model Super Blackhawk with as good of a trigger pull as my Old Model SBH. I'm not worried about collectors status, I just don't want the new parts in my gun. I remember getting annoyed years back watching some lady crying on 20/20 or some similar show about how the "defective" design of a Ruger single action killed her husband. Methinks the only defective design on that Ruger was in the nut behind the grips.....

And of course, Brownells only has 2 of the 3 parts I need. So my gun sits useless until my part is no longer on backorder.

Poodleshooter, I totally agree with one exception. My single six is a New Model, but somehow I got amazingly lucky and it has a pretty sweet trigger.

The old "three screw" models are perfectly safe if you are carrying over an empty tube. If you carry on a hot tube, rest the hammer on the first click.

An easy way to get a nice trigger pull on a blackhawk is to leave one of the trigger spring legs off the bar that it sits on, or do what I do and just snip one side off...... I have a 1.5# trigger on my blackhawk now and it has never been a safety concern.

This is supposedly a hack the gun writers found out, it is easy and cheap and simple to put back or order a spare spring if you plan on reselling your gun

Agree with Westicle about the trigger pull

unhooked one side of my Bisley's trigger spring based on the info found in one of Jim March's posts. The web site he referenced calls it "the poor man's trigger job". Neat thing is that it works! :)

If you would rather not wait for Brownells to get the parts in call Ruger back and tell them you need the parts for a Vaquero. All of the Vaqueros were manufactured with the transfer bar so there is no need for the conversion and, after ordering hunrdeds of parts from them for Vaqueros, I've never had them ask for a serial number.

Thanks Songdog. I hate paying 4.95 shipping for a $1.15 part, but my dad wants that gun in shootable condition before our family after thanksgiving shoot.

Back