Ruger Blackhawk Convertible

• Thread starter Thread starter PreserveFreedom
  • Start date Start date
P

PreserveFreedom

Considering a New Model Blackhawk is basically a Vaquero with adjustable sights, has anyone tried using a 9mm/45ACP cylinder from a Blackhawk Convertible in a standard Vaquero? If so, any problems? Any reason why this shouldn't be done?

Both models can be read about at http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rvnew.html

Unfortunately, the 9mm/45ACP cylinders do not come in stainless. :(

Sounds great but it just doesn't work..Tried it with a blackhawk
and a vaquero and it seems that there is a difference in cylinder
frame sizes,not much,that do not allow fitted cylinders to be interchanged..Perhaps you could get ruger to fit a cylinder for
you but I wouldn't be surprised if they refused..That would consitute custom work and they don't do that..If it isn't in the catalog it doesn't exist..

I've got a Blackhawk convertible in .45 calibers, that I turned into a Bis-hawk. I also have a Bisley Vaquero in .45 colt.

The .45 acp cylinder from my convertible works fine when I installed it in my Vaquero. This is a kind of hit and miss sorta thing. The cylinders really should be hand fit to the frame they are being used in.

Guess I just got lucky...

Joe

I've owned several Ruger revolvers (including two bright stainless .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles at different). While I haven't tried to switch cylinders, I haven't seen much evidence of handfitting anywhere on any of them. I think Joe is probably right, in that it is just a matter of luck.

Right now, I'm in the market for a bright stainless Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt to see if my .45 ACP cylinder works in it--I like the Bisley grip much better than the standard grips, and .45 ACP ammo is much cheaper than .45 Colt.

The cylinders are handfitted for each gun----I have 2 Super Blackhawks and tried switching the cylinders----no dice either way. Also if you look closely--the last 2 digits of the guns' serial number is handwritten on the cylinder.

I have a Blackhawk 45/45 convertible which does have the s/n digits marked on the cylinder. However, I have two stainless Vaquero convertibles which do not. I take some pains not to get them mixed up. Don't know why that is.

Back