Ruger Bisley-Vaquero

Bulldog44

Any of you guys have any experience with the Ruger Bisley-Vaquero? I've been interested in buying one, but I'd like to hear from past / current owners.

I have one. It's the Stainless, 5.5" 44 magnum version. I sent it off to MagNaPort and had quad ports cut in it and the MNP logo put on the barrel. Shoots to point of aim and recoil is GREATLY reduced. Never shot it without the porting, but I assume that the grip shape has alot to do with recoil attenuation. Handles well. The only criticism I have is that I don't like the hammer shape from a cocking point of view. I much prefer the high, SAA style of hammer.

My wife bought me one a couple years ago for X-mas. It's a 5.5" blue/case hardened finish, in .45 colt.

At 25 yards it hits point of aim with 200 --> 255 grain bullets. The longer grip works well for me.

I swapped out the mainspring for a lighter one to make cocking a bit easier. The serations on the hammer could be sharper.

It's been a very accurate handgun and a real "blast" to shoot heavy loads in.

Good Luck...

Joe

I have a...

...stainless 4 5/8" .44 Mag Bisley Vaquero. Beautiful gun, and it's very pleasant to shoot, even (especially!) with loudenboomer loads.

Bulldog,

I just bought a Bisley-Vaquero last month in .45 Colt. Like the man said, check out what John Linebaugh has to say about them. I just shot the first rounds through mine a couple of weeks ago. Now I am working up some loads for hunting. I was originally looking for a .44, but I am glad I went with the .45. Either way the Bisley grip makes it a more manageable shooter. I guess I am telling you to go for it. You won't be sorry.

Mark

I have never had a "full Power" Bisley, only a itty bitty .22 Ruger Bisley, but I always wanted to have one. Anyone wanna donate!

I always felt uneasy with the traditional sixgun gripshape, I understand it should roll in your hand so your thumb comes up for recocking the weapon naturally, but this always unerved me when firing traditional sixguns. Thats why I love the bisley grip frame.

Good shooting
REd

I like the size of the bisley frame but not the shape. ruger makes a damn fine SA revolver and they are STRONG.

My vaquero is a 44 mag 7.5 inch stainless glossy with ivorex grips.

I have a 4.5 inch 44 mag BV in blue, and I love it. Even with the short barrel it is the nicest recoiling 44 mag that i have ever shot.

I plan to get a second one with a 5.5 inch barrel and use the two of them for C.A.S and maybe hunting whitetail and hogs. The only changes to them that i plan to make are replace the aluminum ejector rod housing with steel ones.

GREAT guns, you cannot go wrong with them.

Bulldog44,

I read your question on Uberti SA's, too. If your torn between Uberti and Ruger, get the Ruger. I've got both and think the Ruger is a much better gun - stronger when it comes to hot loads, better balance, tough and reliable. Good luck!

I've got a blued steel B-V in .45 Colt, and it's by far my favorite handgun. A few things I've noticed:

--Recoil is transferred down more than back. Even with hot loads, it's easy to handle.

--It shoots better one-handed, in the bullseye stance. It also shoots better if you bend your arm a little. Bending the arm also helps absorb more recoil, since it brings the big muscles into play.

--It takes even hot handloads with ease. On the down side, it feels twice as heavy as a Peacemaker clone. It's not an easy revolver to spin around in your hand.

--Factory actions are a little rough. I need to get mine fine tuned a bit.

--Look for a used one! You can save $$ this way, and it's actually difficult to damage one. As long as the crown is OK and nobody's been putting Casull-level loads through it, it will last a lifetime.

Back