Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Cocking Issue

bamacrazy

Inactive
I've done searches for this over the past few days, but have hot found anything. I bought a Ruger 3.75 Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 Mag last year. Great looking and shooting gun with one exception; the gun is really hard to cock. I've had the hammer slip while cocking. Part of the issue is the force it takes to pull the hammer back. The Bisley hammer is also really flat so its harder to get a good grip with the thumb. This is my first Bisley and I have not had this issue with other revolvers. Is this a common problem with Ruger Bisleys? Will the issue get better with use? I would sure appreciate any help with this issue.

Howdy

The very first thing to check is to make sure the cylinder pin has not jumped forward. There is a spring loaded plunger at the rear of the cylinder pin. Its function is to push the transfer bar backwards, when cocking the hammer. If the cylinder pin has jumped forward, the plunger will not reach the transfer bar, and the transfer bar can hang up under the firing pin while cocking the revolver. If the transfer bar hangs up under the firing pin, it is very difficult to cock the hammer. Cylinder pins jumping forward on Rugers is very common, particularly with heavy recoiling loads. If you have this problem, I can advise you on how to fix it.

If you really don't like the effort required to cock the hammer, you can buy a lighter mainspring from Wolff Springs. Just be aware that if you install a spring that is too light you may start getting light primer hits.

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

I owned a 45 Colt Bisley Vaquero about 20 years ago, I don't recall any problem cocking the hammer, but I am very used to single action revolvers. No, the hammer will not get easier to cock over time, cocking it a bazillion times does not smooth things up that much, and will not alter the strength of the spring. If you don't like the ergonomics of the Ruger Bisley hammer, I am pretty sure you can drop in a regular Super Blackhawk hammer, but I am not 100% sure of that.

bama, i also have a new Ruger Bisley 44 mag.71/2" bbl. Mine isn't that hard to cock. I will bet yours will get easier the more you cock it. Well....maybe not..lol.

If you are talking about the shape of the hammer when you say the Bisley is "hard to cock", then simply replace the hammer with a regular SBH hammer, or one from a Blackhawk...

Drop in parts swap...

Salmoneye, it's a little of both. Spring is real hard and the flat hammer exacerbates the problem.

Driftwood Johnson, I'm going to remove the cylinder and reinstall and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help folks!

Your ammunition? Sometimes a high primer will make cocking stiff. Or the cartridges not seating correctly. Check you headspace too.

Bob Wright

Driftwood Johnson, I'm going to remove the cylinder and reinstall and see if that helps.

I believe you misunderstood me.

The cylinder pin jumping forward is caused by heavy recoil. Shooting full power 44 Mags from a revolver with a 3 3/4" barrel could certainly qualify as heavy recoil. You will not see this happen unless the cylinder pin has jumped forward. Reinstalling the cylinder will not affect it, just look and see if the cylinder pin has jumped forward. If it has, push it back until it latches in place.

You can simulate this at home. Just unlatch the cylinder pin and pull it forward about 1/4" or 1/2" or so. With the pin forward, cock the hammer slowly and look down inside to see what is happening. You will see the transfer bar rising, but it will probably bump up against the underside of the frame mounted firing pin. This will make it difficult or impossible to fully cock the hammer. If you point the gun up while cocking the hammer, gravity will probably make the transfer bar fall back and the hammer will cock easily. If you point the gun down, the transfer bar will most probably be blocked by the firing pin. That's why there is a spring plunger at the rear of the cylinder pin, to shove the transfer bar back, clear of the firing pin, as it rises. If the cylinder pin has jumped forward, cocking the hammer will be difficult because the firing pin is at least partially blocking the transfer bar.

There are several solutions to this problem, but I will not list them until you have determined if your cylinder pin is jumping forward in recoil.

By the way, the same thing happens with Colts and Uberti single action revolvers. The latch can allow the pin to jump forward under recoil. With a Colt, there is no transfer bar, the pin simply keeps moving forward until it falls out of the gun and you are crawling around in the grass trying to find it. But usually the cylinder will bind up before that happens.

No, the pin is fully engaged. The hammer pulls back smoothly with uniform resistance. It just seems like it takes a lot more force to fully cock it than my other revolvers. I'm gonna take it by the shop where I bought it and ask if they think its unusually stiff.

Put me on the long list of folks who can't stand the Bisley, either in its original Colt form or the later Ruger type. That being said, there is something wrong if a Ruger Bisley is exceptionally hard to cock. I would take it back where you bought it, and ask to compare it with other similar guns in stock.

Jim

SBH Replacement Hammer

I figured our what the main issue is. I compared my super blackhawk bisley with a 3 3/4 super blackhawk. The regular SBH has a much wider hammer. Although the SBH hammer is just as stiff as mine, the wider hammer is much easier to cock securely with one hand. Can someone tell me where I can find a wider replacement hammer? I could not find one on the Ruger site.

Have you pulled off the grips and looked at the spring& strut? Its not impossible something might be binding on them.

The Blackhawk and the Bisley hammer are interchangeable, but they aren't. :D

The Bisley hammer needs a little different size cut in the grip frame for clearance. (check this, too, if it binding there, it will feel hard to cock)

Question, is the gun an actual Bisley model from the factory? or just one someone "converted"? That might make a difference, too...

It's the Lipsey's Dealer Exclusive 3 3/4 SS Bisley SBH 44 magnum. I purchased it new from Mobile Shooting Center. Yes, it is a factory produced gun.

Last edited:
SBH Hammers are sometimes scarce, and right now seems to be one of those times...

Midway had them this Spring, but I see they are out...

Watch ebay, or contact Numrich, or even try Ruger...

I believe that the new Ruger Single actions have a locking mechanism under the grips. I would remove the grips and with your key lock and unlock the built in lock and make sure it is functioning correctly. It's possible but not likely it is partly locked and interfering with the mainspring.

For some reason the Ruger manuals don't show the part I know my Vaquero has one and its not mentioned in the manual...

f9a6d3c2.jpg

de143e2e.jpg

Last edited:
Back