Ruger "Bearcat"

Kentucky Rifle

I stopped by a new (to me) gun shop for a speed loader and casually looked at a Ruger Bearcat. Now, I'm beginning to think about THAT one too! It is a "new" type of course, but it was nice. Anybody have a new type and how do you like it?
About a thousand years ago, I watched a friend save his lunch money every day in order to buy an "old" style. Nice then, nice now. He still has it, and we're both in our 50's. I wonder how much it's worth?

KR

I picked up a used old style about 10 years ago, like you I saw it at the gun shop and just liked it, great little gun and surprisingly accurate. A great gun to teach my kids to shoot with.
I thought it would be a good investment, then Ruger started making them again, Last time I checked 98% blue booked at $300.00

Well...

...mine is an Old Model, and we used it for the most fun I've had in a long time with a gun:

We kept it in the back of the shop where we had a .22LR bullet trap, and kept a box of Aguila Colibris with it, turning it into an indoor target pistol for those slow Tuesday afternoons. Much fun!

the Ruger Bearcat...

I bought one of these 3 or 4 years ago and it has been a peach of a fine little sixgun. Mine is as tight as an FA revolver, has an excellent trigger pull, and can head shoot prairie rats out to 50 yards slick as a whistle. Had Chaparrel leather make a Tom Three Persons holster for it. All in all a dandy little 22 field pistol.
That being said I have also seen some some so sloppily fit as to begger comparison. When I bought mine the dealer had three to choose from and the other two were not even close to the one I picked; I WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE!!!. One tip-off is whether the cylinder can backup from half cock far enough it no longer lines up the charge hole with the extractor rod. On half cock when you hear the pawl click on the ratchet the cylinder charge hole should be perfectly lined up with the extractor rod [ for ejection of that fired case ] and should stay in that position. None of the badly fit ones I saw then nor have seen since would do this correctly. If you find one as good as mine you'll have a dandy of a 22 sixgun I'll tell you.

Back