Ruger Bearcat (gun of the day)

johnwill

Here's a nice old SA revolver, my old model Bearcat.

67859_Ruger_Bearcat_Old_Model_01_7small4.jpg

Neat and pretty. Unfortunately, I have never owned or seen one that would shoot worth a darn. How does yours do?

Jim

Wont shoot worth a darn? Poppycock. At least for mine. It looks exactly like the pic, Is there two of these? Bearcat=alloy frame.
Super Bearcat=Steel frame? Mine has a steel frame and shoots like a rifle with most good ammo.

Actually, the little Bearcat shoots pretty good. It's not quite up to my Ruger MK-II in accuracy, but it doesn't have to apologize in that dept. I think the thing that limits my accuracy with it is the sights...

ALWAYS liked that little piece - - -

- - - But never had the spare money when I found one at anything like a reasonable price.

I was so eaten up with it that I once did a really foolish thing.

Worked at the District Attorney's Office and some small department asked us to keep some guns in our property vault, pending return to proper owners. Being the office firearms enthusiast, I took on the job. After some tracing and detective work, I was able to make return of several items.

This Bearcat was one I couldn't ever locate the owner. The little revolver stayed around for months, missing ejector rod assembly, but in otherwise VG condition. I finally signed it out, took it home and cleaned it up, and even went to Fort Worth and bought the parts out of my own pocket. I made up a nifty little thumb break, cross draw holster, and the rig was excellent for just knocking around in dove season. Never shot a snake with it, but put the coup de grace on a couple of crippled birds. It shot very well at short range.

There was no way I could legally make it my own, so I finally turned it back in, leaving the privately-purchased parts in place, and sold the holster at a gun show. (Sigh - -)

Best,
Johnny

The Bearcats do seem to be priced pretty high, never have really understood that. I paid more for the Bearcat than my Single Six, and it came with an extra .22Mag cylinder! If anything, the Single Six is in better condition than the Bearcat...

Ruger Bearcat

John,
This is one of the few pictures you have so excellently shown that I own one. It was my first ever handgun bought in 1964 new at a "Grant's 5&10cent Store". My brand new wife paid a handsome 29.95 for it. It has been stolen, recovered and reblued. My daughter from age 14 to 21 always carried it on fishing trips loaded with birdshot loads for snakes but never shot any. I use it now to introduce handgun shooting to youngsters with small hands. It always does it's part. Quantrill

I also find that some folks being introduced to shooting like the smaller guns for some reason, and the Bearcat is the perfect "small" gun to start them with. There is no danger of a second shot going someplace I wouldn't want it to go, since you have to take an overt action to get ready to shoot again. Besides, it's such a "cute" little gun... :D

Back