Ruger American Stock Upgrade

USAF Ret

I got a good deal on a Ruger American centerfire in 6.5 a while back and it has been in my closet. I thought it might be nice to have a backup. I am wanting to keep it light, but would like to change the stock. I like the looks of the Magpul Hunter, but it adds a lot of weight. Any suggestions or just stay with what I have?

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
They sell laminated stocks, but Walnut is available, too. I like the Prairie Hunter shape. They sell some "bottom metal" parts, that may take magazines.
Their Rapid Fire deals are pre-made stocks (seconds or returns) at 30%+ off. You have to check stock often.
If you want to spend $200 you can replace a plastic stock with walnut.

I have a RAR in a Boyds AT-1, good stock, etc., but it's not a lightweight IMO. For the bench, pretty good, carrying it around in the woods, can't say. LOL

Keep it in the factory stock. It's a $350 rifle. Anything decent will cost as much, as paid for the rifle and will only make it heavier. And won't make it a bit more accurate. If you're going to have $600+ in a rifle there are better options.

I have 3 of those rifles in 6.5. 308, and 223. They all shoot great as is. But they are a cheap budget gun and changing the stock doesn't change that.

But if I were going to change the stock it would be to this.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1137

Either the rifle is unworthy of a classic Walnut stock in the company's opinion or, if they offered it in the past, sales must have been poor....
Doesn't anyone want wood anymore?
A Mini in 300 Blackout would be a lot more appealing in Walnut,,,,or any other rifle, for that matter. Apparently, hardly anyone thinks that way now.

I guess I'm with jmr40. I have 2, and I bought them specifically because they were cheap and had a reputation for being good shooters and they have lived up in that regard.

I didn't hesitate to take the krylon to one of them, and will probably do the same to the other when it warms up again.

I wouldn't dare do that to my pretty rifles.

I put laminate stocks on all my rifles. It isn't a financial decision, it's esthetic. I like laminate stocks. At this point in my life I do things because I want to, for whatever reason that matters to me. I have had a few Boyd's stocks, they are nicely finished, usually are a drop in unit, and I recommend them.

I too use a lot of Boyds laminates--mostly cause they are solid and relatively cheap. My experience has been, however, they almost always require inlet, pillar and bedding work to get really good results out of them. I get hobbiest enjoyment out of doing that stuff, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Either the rifle is unworthy of a classic Walnut stock in the company's opinion or, if they offered it in the past, sales must have been poor....
Doesn't anyone want wood anymore?
A Mini in 300 Blackout would be a lot more appealing in Walnut,,,,or any other rifle, for that matter. Apparently, hardly anyone thinks that way now.
I think this is because these days utilitarian just has more practical appeal over beauty. Kind of hard to think about knocking about the countryside with a rifle your afraid to get wet or scratched up.

Kind of hard to think about knocking about the countryside with a rifle your afraid to get wet or scratched up.
Which is the reason I never take my BLR out into the woods--I even leave it in the case inside the safe.:)

For quick bolt on simplicity and rigid performance I'm a huge fan of MDT chassis and AICS magazines. Not exactly the traditional wood look, but for no-hassle solid pillar/free-float without the worries of wood they are great IMO.

Thanks everyone. It gave me a lot to think about. I did get this as a backup, so I may just stick with the OEM stock.

I may be a little too late, but I amiably disagree with jmr40. I have several Ruger Americans, and I agree that they're barebones budget rifles. But they're shooters. I have a 7mm-08, that I can get 0.630" groups out with factory Winchester ammo, and better yet with hand-loaded Nosler Ballistic tips. While I'll never take it out west, for the hills and woods of Western Virginia, it's an unbeatable deer rifle. So, I put a Boyd's stock on it, for less than $200, and it made much more of a joy to shoot. It looks better, and the slight increase in weight at the back end improved the balance of the rifle. Yes, it's still a budget rifle. But if anything, given its performance and the increased enjoyment of shooting it, it's a heck of a deal

Back