Ruger American Scope

gregnsara

I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and I'm looking for a good 400-600 yard scope for (don't laugh me off the board here) under $200. I'm obviously not looking to set any distance records, but I'd at least like to be able to consistently hit a paper plate at somewhere around those distances. Also, is it just as important or even more so to focus first on a good set of rings? There's so much stuff out there to choose from, I have no idea who makes the better equipment these days.

I'd look hard at the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X44.
Another manufacturer i'd look hard at would be Sightron.

Nikon Buckmaster

Right now my American in 308 has a Nikon Buckmaster. The scope appears to be a good value. Scope is clear. Dials are easy to use and track. Current use if for 100 yards with cast bullets. Same for Nikon Pro-staff. The scope is mounted with Burris Zee rings.

Last edited:
I think the Burris FF-II 3-9X40 is the best option under $400. Retail price is about $210, but they show up on sale fairly often priced between $160-$180. I'd rate it every bit as good or better than the Leupold VX-2 that sold for $350.

https://swfa.com/burris-3-9x40-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope-6.html

Honestly at about $200 you can get a decent scope. I prefer something a little nicer, but there are several options priced between $200-$250 that I'd not feel handicapped with. It is when you start trying to make $100 scopes work that you run into issues.

The Burris Zee rings look nice and would be a good option. But the Weaver 4X4's sold at Walmart function as good as anything, are less expensive and easily available.

Never went past 500, but I never felt "under-scoped" with an old Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 on my '06.

As a walking hunter, I like the wider field of view at 3X as compared to higher magnification. My last mule deer was way out there :) at maybe 25 yards.

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x fixed is a fine $200 scope of you aren't going to do close in hunting. I make thousand yard 1st and 2nd round hits on b-mod targets with it.

I will not laugh at you. The rifle making those thousand yard hits is a savage axis. Wouldnt shoot 2now before I bedded it, but since it has been a serviceable rifle. I was laughed at myself at camp Burner with it until others saw it make consistent hits.

Back