Ruger American Rimfire?

GunDude123

Inactive
As a lot of you know Ruger have a new gun on the market, the Ruger American Rimfire. It takes the Ruger 10/22 rotary and extended magazines. That being said do you thing (in time) they will make target variants of this rifle? Maybe Boyd's rifle stocks will make stocks for it or maybe they will have aftermarket bull barrels for it. Keep in mind if any of this does happen it will dominate the Ruger 77/22 market. What do you think?

I am none too pleased with the synthetic stock on my 77/22 All Weather and though the American's stock appears to be quite different, I won't have much interest until wood stocks are available.

Curious, the banner photo shows a receiver grooved for tip-off mounts while the product page and instruction manual indicate a receiver drilled and tapped for base-and-ring mounts. What's up with that?

What's the point of taking a price point oriented rifle and adding a bunch of expensive accessories? If you want a heavy barreled laminated stock Ruger 22, buy a 77/22 with both features out of the box?

The problem with "those things already included" is it is a variant of those things, but not necessarily the variant i want. Maybe I want an $250 stock, but not the one Ruger selected, etc. I doubt there will be much third party support. I don;t think there is for any bolt action 22.

Ruger does it's homework before introducing a new product. This rifle fills a lot of needs and wants. I am sure it will be a market success. In fact, I have noticed a shortage of reliable bolt action .22s with magazine feeds. To some, a SA is undesirable because of safety reasons. And tubular magazines are a pita to load and unload. There may be one in my future. Tree rats beware.:rolleyes:

I have noticed a shortage of reliable bolt action .22s with magazine feeds.
Well, I don't know about that. I do know that magazines for most of the marlins(lower price point) aren't cheap. I already have 4 10 round mags and 2 "hi-cap". I wouldn't have to lay out $150 or more to get them for this rifle.

I liked everything I read about this rifle. And there was at least one retailer selling them for $250 already, IIRC MSRP is $329.

Rob

I would buy one in a wood stock in a heartbeat. The stock it comes with does nothing at all for me and will keep me from buying one.

I liked what I saw !!!

Last weekend, I got to handle two of these new models. One was the short barrel and the other, longer. Both have the standard 10/22 magazine well. Sadly did not see the .22WMR and I suppose it will take the 77/22 mag. as well. Have to admit that so far, I liked what I saw with limited handling. I'd love to take one of these apart and suspect, in time, will do so. I think these will take off and be a nice addition to Ruger's product line. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I never understood why people get so caught up with aesthetics. For me a firearm should be reliable, tough and accurate enough for its intended purpose. Aesthetics don't even enter the equation. My one exception to this rule would probably be my muzzleloaders, I generally dress them in nature's wonder camouflage material, this stuff called wood.

I happen to have a duffel bag full of 10/22 mags I wouldn't mind feeding one of those Americans with though.

Boomer

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was offered with a threaded barrel. A bolt-action .22 rifle makes a great suppressor host, and it's cheap too. Having to pay to get the barrel threaded by a gunsmith makes it a lot less desirable to me.

I bought a pair of the compact models (.22LR and .2WMR), then ordered a pair of the longer stock inserts from Ruger.

I added Weaver #12 bases, plus some older Simmons (not made in china) scopes and found both are accurate and fun to shoot. The trigger is adjustable and if you want to do a minor mod can get down under 2lbs safely.

Mine are quickly becoming my favorite rimfire bolt guns. The 18" barrel makes the LR a great walking-around gun, and the WMR is there when you feel the need for more power.

The manual lists part number for .17HMR barrels in both compact and standard lengths, so I imagine a third model is in the pipeline.

RugerAmRlspr_zps20b39175.jpg

I'm not much of a shot, and I have been spared the bench-rest affliction, but here is part of a post (#119) from a guy over at RFC with a very good accuracy report:

Full report at: www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516203&page=8

Fellow AAR Owners, my first range test.

Trigger spring removed, pull now 1-5/8 #
Action screws torqued to 12"# This setting may be too low. It's just where I decided to start.
Bore polished w/ J&B. 12 slow, careful strokes
2 each Weaver #16's lapped to match contour of AAR receiver
Burris Signature Zee Rings (low)
Weaver CKT15 15X (Japan) Duplex reticle
+ & - .020 inserts sideways in rear ring to bring scope to intersect w/ the bore (within 8 clicks @ 25 yards)

weather: 85 degrees, wind 12-15 MPH switching 180 degrees every few minutes.

The footprint of the firing pin is small! Every round went bang; but I would still like to see a bigger pin footprint...

You get my setup and my groups, the good, the bad and the ugly. No cherry picking. This is only the beginning for the AAR
Start shooting @ 25 yards.

This is how I shoot. I have no idea how the "Experts" shoot...

5 rounds to finish final zero, then I put 25 rounds of fed automatch (old lot)through the AAR as fast as possible.

The more rounds I put through the ARR, the closer to center the shots moved. Either the bore was slicking up some more, OR, the AAR just likes a lot of bore dressing. Or???? Any guesses out there.

First 5 shot, 25 yard group automatch (as I dodge the wind watching the flag & probe do a disco dance)
AARAuto25b_zps724f30ee.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group automatch
AARAuto25c_zps569e6d73.jpg

Barrel cleaned w/ patches, brush & solvent. 10 shots of Golden Eagle match to dress the bore (no pic saving pic count).

First 5 shot, 25 yard group Golden Eagle match
AARGolden25b_zpsc9ade321.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group Golden Eagle match
AARGolden25a_zps6f2928e5.jpg

again, more rounds down the bore, things tighten up. dressing?

...Not too bad for a first outing! Still a lot of work to do! I have to increase torque on the action screws. I need some better wind conditions. or lack of wind (fat chance that :D) I think the barrel is slowing slicking up.

Best Regards, ultramag44

Back