Ruger American Predator in .308

I did some research before hand, and read numerous reviews. These two being the best ones I came across.

Sniper Central

1,000 yards with a $500 rifle

Everyone seemed to really like the accuracy, but also had the same general complaints. But after looking at MagPul's stock coming out, I decided it would fix any issues that people complained about. And picked one up Friday and took to the range Saturday morning.

After a couple hours and 50 rounds, I'd have to say all the stock and magazine issues they voiced concern about were correct.

The two biggest issues being that the stock touched on the front left side of the 'free floated' barrel. I shaved it down with my pocket knife pretty easily though since I had my tool set with me. I don't mind the feel of the stock, but it's pretty 'meh' and I can see some not liking it.

And the Ruger $44 plastic magazine is crap, absolute crap. They should be ashamed of the price and quality. I'd be afraid to take it out in the cold, when pushing rounds in warm temps makes me feel like I will break it. Once it gets brittle, good luck. With the bolt closed and a full 4 round magazine, I couldn't get it to latch in place unless I wanted to risk shattering it or pulled the bolt back. Downloading to 3 made it click in easy. Single loading - forget about it.

As for accuracy, I sighted in with some cheap steel cased TULA I was afraid to run through my FAL after a Wolf round blew my magazine out the bottom. Here's the first group I shot after some sight adjustments.

20171202_085618.jpg

Not bad, sub 1MOA. As you can see, I flung my second shot of four, way out there.

(I guess that means Hostages have a 75% of me not hitting them by mistake.)

After repeating similar groups, I went to some hunting ammo that opened up to 1.5MOA or less. I was very pleased with the accuracy, and it's a nice little rifle. I'll take it into the woods next time I go hunting and try to tag out with it.

For a $410 rifle (I kick myself for not shopping around during Black Friday when they were going for $325 or so), 1MOA, 'free floated', with a threaded barrel is a heckuva deal.

I guess I'll go ahead and pre-order a Magpul stock and a couple AICS 7.62 magazines. (But it looks like their 'Late 2017' release is turning into an 'Early 2018' release)

I dont know about the RAP in 308 but:

I got one in 6.5 CM, was so impressed I bought two more, one in 204 Ruger and 223 Remington. I was equally impressed and If I was to venture a guess, I would bet the 308 would be no different.

I shoot a lot of 308s in competition but I doubt I buy the RAP 308, because if I shoot a 308 it probably be service rifle using my Super Match M1A, or my AMU built Mode 70 Target Rifle.

I've had a 223 Ruger American since they 1st came out and have since bought Predators in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 1st run of 223 magazines were defective, but Ruger quickly replaced them and newer magazines seem to work just fine. I've never had any problems with any of the other magazines nor have I ever read of anyone else having issues either.

But I'll admit, they don't inspire confidence. The new Ranch rifle in 7.62X39 uses metal Mini-30 magazines and that may be my next purchase. But if they can do it with 7.62X39 I think they will offer it in 223 using Mini-14 mags soon. I got a discount card with all 3 rifles that I used to buy several spare mags for each rifle. After the discount I think it worked out to around $30 each and the mags for 6.5 and 308 are interchangeable so I have plenty. If one does ever break I have plenty to keep going and Ruger will replace it for free.

All 3 of mine will shoot well under 1 MOA with quality ammo. The 6.5 and 223 are usually closer to 1/2 MOA while the 308 is closer to 3/4 MOA. But you have to use good ammo.

These rifles don't even have a traditional recoil lug. The metal V blocks they use do a very good job of shooting accurately even with a flexible stock. It isn't a big deal to give the forend a more generous free float and I've done so on all of mine. Mine never touched the barrel, but I opened them all up to allow extra room just in case.

Changing the stock can't possibly make it shoot any more accurately. It will allow you to use better magazines. But if you're not careful you'll end up with $1000 invested in a $350 rifle that doesn't shoot a bit better than if you left it stock.

I have nicer, more expensive rifles that I trust more for reliability and if driving cross country for an expensive out of state hunt one of those are what I'd take. At least for now, but the more I use these guns the more confidence I gain in their reliability and they shoot as accurately, if not better than my "nice" guns. I've used them locally where if one were to fail I wouldn't feel any loss. But so far they are doing great.

^Good points.

Changing the stock can't possibly make it shoot any more accurately. It will allow you to use better magazines. But if you're not careful you'll end up with $1000 invested in a $350 rifle that doesn't shoot a bit better than if you left it stock.

The rifle won't be any more accurate, but it may help the shooter get closer to the guns full potential. Some people do better with pistol grips or thicker forearms.

But I get what you are saying, throw a muzzle brake and mag pull stock on and you are getting up into the $7-800 range. Add a good scope, and over the $1000 mark. I think most of us have scopes laying about though.

I was thinking the exact same thing in the shower earlier today and I said, "Why would or should I pay $800 for a bolt action rifle with no iron sights when I can buy a S&W M&P10 for a few hundred more and have a much better rifle?"

I know I am being a bit of a wet blanket but If that is 100 yards, not Sub MOA.

Need some (3 or 4) 5 shot groups.

Not a wet blanket at all. :P

I've always been in the habit of the 3 shot grouping for MOA, but I'll try 5 shot groups next time with better ammo. It repeated that sort of grouping often enough with 3 rounds that I'm confident the times it didn't was on me and not the rifle.

But looking at Sniper Central's review results that I linked from their testing of good quality ammo, mine looks on par with theirs and what I'm hearing from others who've bought one.

I suppose for the price of the Magpul stock and mags, plus a muzzle brake, you are in the range of a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle which comes with the iron sights.

Back