Ruger American in 223 ?

rebs

I would like to hear from guys that own this rifle as to out of the box accuracy and or what after market parts it may need.

I picked this rifle to use in the American Marksman competition. With thousands of rounds through them by close to 2000 shooters. we only had one issue. The roll pin in the bolt shroud on the LH version (we had to wait several months to get a LH as they did not have any) either backed out or was never installed. We had to have a gunsmith tear it down and make a new pin.

With Aguila 55 FMJ, they all printed in the 1MOA range at 100 yards. I shot from 50 to 69 grain ammo, cheap to match and at points, I had to look at what I was shooting to make sure it was actually a polymer stocked, relatively inexpensive production grade rifle. We ran 2-7 Burris scopes on them and I was able to print several groups in the 0.5 range with match ammo off bags.

Curiosity got the better of me and I mounted a higher mag optic on it and shot some groups into the .3" range at 100 yards using 52 grain match, 60 grain BTs and 69 grain match. I just grabbed loads off the shelf I already had and made no attempt to work up a load at all. One of them has about 10K on it and it still prints the 55 FMJ right at 1 MOA.

The one knock I have are the magazines. I know Ruger likes their rotary magazines, but they really need a better solution. I threw about 8 magazines in the trash due to malfunctions. They are polymer and the feedlips are thin. Granted they were run like rentals and some ignorance and abuse may have occurred, but I still want a better magazine.

Ours were the All-weather.

I don't have a Ruger American in 223, but after playing with my wife's Ruger Precision in 6.5 CM, I was impressed.

I heard good things about the Ruger American Predator so I thought it might be a nice "light rifle" for deer/antelope, and of course it had to be a 6.5 CM.

I had a variety of bullets so after getting it sighted in I decided to see what difference the bullets would make on the zero.

I loaded a 140 A-Max with H4350, an 142 Hornady with H4350 and a Nosler 142 Accurbond with Win 760 (41,7 grns. in each case, including the 760).

It all shot the same spot.

DSCN0268.JPG

The only modifications I did to the rifle, was a muzzle brake, a Vortex Crossfire II (6X24) and of course a sling.

I hate to say this being a Model 70 Winchester guy, but I don't think you could find a better out of the box light weight hunting rifle.

You may ask about the brake on the 6.5. After shooting wife's RPR at 10+ pounds, going to the 6.5 lb. Ruger American, a brake made a big difference.

I guess you an say it worked. It managed to gather a couple antelope on opening day.

I know most people who know, say the H4350 is the "go to" powder for the 6.5 CM but I found, in both of our 6.5s 760 works as well, plus you don't have to weight each charge, it meters so well. That saves a lot of time if you two rifles to feed.

Thank you for the replies, I am going to take a closer look at the Ruger American in 223, this will primarily be a range rifle with an occasional trip for chuck hunting. Anyone have any idea how many rounds can be fired in one session without hurting or over heating the barrel ?

We ran squads of 10 in about 30 minutes, each shooting on average 7 rounds. That is 140 rounds an hour, almost non-stop, in a few cases in 105-110 degree heat, with no significant shifts at 100 yards.

When I was testing one early on, I put 50 rounds through one in under 5 minutes and saw a change in POI that was just under 1". That same rifle is still shooting .5 MOA with match ammo.

There is a company making an aluminum bolt shroud, but not needed. I really don't think there is any reason to mess with it. When someone comes out with a double column magazine for it, I will get one or two.

I bought one of the Compact's right after they came out. Mine has been a tack driver. The stock was a bit short for me, but I bought it for dual purpose. It is my rifle, but one the grandkids can shoot. I did order a full length stock directly from Ruger. Seems like it was around $50. I now have a short stock for the grand kids and a full size for me.

The original stocks were a little flimsey, but I gave it a generous free float and never had any issues with it touching the barrel. The new stocks are much more rigid and need nothing.

Original stock and new version below

I am glad to know they have fixed the stocks. The stocks on the originals were just pure trash. I replaced mine with a Boyds and accuracy instantly went from poor to exceptional.

If changing the stock improved the accuracy, then the bolts were not tightened correctly or there was grease on the V-blocks.

No Mark. The fore end flexed so badly it would flex the stock between the action screws. Stock was trash. I filled it with Devcon and made it better, but it still would not shoot off a properly loaded bi-pod.

I've got one in 300 BLK and if I was going to change anything it'd be the bendy stock...

Once zeroed at 100 yards, my first three shots with reloads were touching each other. I'd say it's the most accurate rifle I've ever bought at that price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back