Ruger American Compact

wjarrell

I know its a cheap gun as far as price goes but I just thought I'd ask for reviews. I couldn't find much on the internet but what I did find seemed to be good as far as reliability and accuracy. I'd probably get it in 308 and shoot deer with it out to 400 yards. Anyone have any experience with this gun?

I have a compact in 223, a standard rifle in 308. The factory 223 mag wouldn't feed the last round, but Ruger replaced it and the replacement functions 100%. I've since read that simply using a file to remove a tiny bit of material from the sides of the mag will fix the problem. The 308 functioned perfectly from the start.

The 223 shoots .75-1 MOA pretty consistently with quality ammo. About double that with cheap FMJ. The 308 so far isn't quite as accurate, but perfectly acceptable for what it is. Just over 1 MOA.

You will find a lot of guys replacing the stock or doing all sorts of tricks to stiffen the stock. All a waste of time and money IMHO. As long as the stock never contacts the barrel it doesn't matter how "floppy" it is. I simply used a file and dremmel to give both of mine a generous free float. No problems, no expense.

The Ruger is a $350 rifle that shoots as well as most anything. I've seen guys replace so many parts they have $700 in it. While it is a decent gun, If I have $700, or even $500 to spend there are much better options. Part of the appeal is that it is a cheap gun that I don't worry about getting dinged up, or even lost/stolen. Start throwing money at it and that changes.

So far they seem to be doing OK, but I'd not want to use one on a hunting trip that involved long distance travel or great expense until a little more proven. For local, informal hunting yes. On a hunt that cost me money I'd want something more proven, at least for now. That may change.

If it had been available when I purchased mine I'd have gone with the Predator in 308. It is the same 18" barrel, but with a standard length stock and a slightly heavier barrel that is threaded for a suppressor. Not that much more expensive.

I own 4 but none are compact. i have a 30-06, .243, .223, and a .17HMR.

Th LOP is a little long for me so I might adjust all 4 but the compact is too short and I worried about eye relief on the scope so I went with the standard size.

These are nice rifles, don't let the price fool you! I got all three of the RAR's for a deal so I bought them. I paid full retail for the RAR rimfire since the factory is out of them right now.

Really nice shooting rifles. My son has a Savage Axis in .243 and its a nice rifle as well but I do think the quality of the RAR is better and more consistant

I have a standard Ruger American in .270. I have had it for a year and a half now, and I have put at least 300 rounds through it, mostly my own reloads. It has been 100% reliable, no magazine or other issues at all. It feeds long-seated bullets with absolutely no problem. Accuracy has been good, I have seen between 1 and 2 MOA with a variety of loads.

My buddy has a Compact American in 308 as his brush gun, with a low power scope (not sure which one). It is great in that application. The 18" barrel and short LOP makes it really handy.

Back