Ruger American Compact Safety

arquebus357

I quickly regretted opting for the safety equipped RAP. I understand Ruger's need to tout the ambi nature of the RAP but the huge useless safety lever hanging out the right hand side nagged at me.

Yesterday, I pulled out the chassis (very nice) and sliced off the offending lever with my B&D rotary tool. (better and cheaper than a Dremel) This left a hole in the right hand side of the frame. I can live with this but would like to fill or cover it somehow. Any ideas ?

Good grief! Why didn't you just put a piece of black electrician's tape over the safety? Not to late I guess, to tape over the hole!

My problem with that right side safety lever was then holstered (OWB AlienGear slide) it just hung out there waiting for the slightest brush to activate or deactivate. I don't think a strip of electrical tape would have done much good.

My RAP is now more like normal semi-auto with a safety. We don't need no stinking ambi crap.

I do like the ambi mag release though.

An update to my RAP safety modification. Again...I really did not like the way the safety lever on the right hand side of the pistol was just hanging out there, when holstered, waiting to be snagged on something. Have you ever walked in the southeastern U.S. woods ? Much different than walking in Wisconsin woods for example.

Resulting hole in frame covered up.

I added a red dot to the slide. Sorry, I know it doesn't look "tatical" but I'm used to seeing a red dot on pistols. Had to use a diamond impregnated bur to carve out a divot. The hardened steel bur just walked around. Awfully hard for stainless steel.

Back