Ruger American 6mm Creedmoor Report.

armednfree

Today I had my first opportunity to fire my Ruger American 6mm Creedmoor. In preparation for this I loaded three levels of Hornady 65 grain VMAX bullets, book velocities of 3300fps, 3500fps and 3700 fps. I was concerned about the 1:7.7 twist in the barrel and weather the VMAX bullet, like a Speer TNT, might not be able to handle that rotational speed. As it turned out the VMAX handled the near 346,000 RPM without issue.

The rifle is mounted with a Sightron SII 6-24x40 Dot recticle. The target was 2" orange Birchwood Casey target spots set at 100 yards. I had previously removed the contact at the tip of the stock allowing the barrel to free float. The stock is cut in classic style and I found my eye far too low with a good cheek weld. I took a piece of foam 1 inch pip insulation and cut it in half. I stacked them on the comb and used duct tape to compress them to the point I liked.

At the range I fired first the 3300 fps load with the 65 grain VMAX. The bullet printed on the target backer. I then fired two more rounds, loading singly as is my habit on the bench, and they landed 1-1/4 left and high of the first shot. That was cause for alarm as I knew I did not pull those shots. Most likely problem was the bedding.

On examination of the rifle I found that the barrel was bearing against the left side of the barrel channel. I slapped it with the heel of my hand and knocked it back. I then fired 3-5 shot groups with each of the VMAX loads, slapping the barrel back after each shot.

I noted that after each 5 shot group the barrel was pretty hot. It is a medium weight barrel and not a bull so I guess that is to be expected. So I shot Hoppes Elite down the barrel after each 5 shot group. That was followed by a patch, 5 strokes of a bore brush and then dry patches.

Those Results Were:

3300 fps
.73 average

3400 fps
.53 Average

3700 fps

.48 Average

Then I fired Hornady 105 grain BTSP's with 43.3 grains of R19. I loaded them to Hornady's spec of 2.790 OAL. upon chambering the first round I met with resistance. I withdrew the round and examined it. I found slight marking of the rifling around the perimeter.

Those groups were:

.35 average

I found the rifle exceptionally accurate for a factory rifle at that price point. While the trigger is not match quality, like the 9oz trigger on my custom 284, it is very good. I see that Timney makes a replacement trigger but I do not believe the improvement would warrant the expense.
The stock? Well, the stock is a sad excuse. It is cut classic style for a rifle that has no sights and never will have sights. The forend is noodle and flexes far too much. The bedding is very bad allowing the rifle to shift in the stock. This stock may be acceptable for the standard weight and ranch weight Ruger American but for the Predator it is entirely unacceptable.

So what will be the plan for this rifle?

All modifications will be on the stock before a decision is made to replace it with a Boyd's stock. A wood cheek piece will be fabricated and screwed and epoxied to the existing stock. Fiber Bondo will be used to blend the new cheek piece in. Inlay a 6-1/2 piece of steel electrical conduit in the forestock, and fill the cells with fiber bondo. Re-seat the receiver and barrel and make sure it is free floated. With Acragalss Gel bed the receiver and the first 1.5 inches of barrel. Remove the foam from the butt stock and add 1.5 pounds of lead. Paint the stock with Krylon Course Stone in Granite color.

The only thing I have to buy for this is the Acraglass Gel and the paint. Everything else I have on hand.

Last edited:
Back