Ruger American .308 win

Bigkahunad

Inactive
Looking at buying this but want to know if they make any aftermarket stocks for it also if anyone has any input about any other 308s out there for around the same price range, will be using for target not hunting and want a tactical look to it as well thanks for the help

As a new-to-the-market rifle, the American does not have a lot of after market support, yet. I have not seen any replacement stocks for it.

As far as others in that price range, I would recommend the Marlin XS7. It has a handfull of replacement stocks available (Boyd's has some nice looking ones, and I know I have seen them elsewhere, as well), so you may be able to get it looking and feeling the way you want. The X7 line has a pretty decent reputation, as well.

There are others in that price range, of course (Savage Axis, Remington 770, Mossberg ATR...), but to the best of my knowledge, they don't have much after market support, either.

Last edited:
Part of what gives the American its accuracy is the new patent-pending stainless steel bedding blocks, which are imbedded into the plastic stock.

Ruger says they have no plans at the moment to offer the American with any wood stock options.

If somebody like Boyds does, you can expect some effect on resulting accuracy. How much, who knows? You'd probably need to work out alternative bedding to retain accuracy in wood, costing more money.

The gun was not meant to be "tacticalled" & it shoots well, but also was not meant for target use.
Its intended purpose was a low-priced light-weight hunting rifle with good accuracy, all of which it is.

I can't see much "tactical" aftermarket development for it.
Denis

I seriously doubt if anyone will ever make an aftermarket stock for this gun.
Any stock worth producing would cost as much as the gun. There are handful of guys who might buy one, but this rifle, the Savage Axis, Remington 770 etc. are geared toward the guys who want a gun for occasional use. Hard core shooters are buying other designs.

Thanks for the info guys I have alot of other rifles as well just wanting to put something together that would look sweet for a friends birthday gift again thanks again

Back