Ruger All-Weather M77 Mark II Scope Rings Problem

grimmysnr

Inactive
I have a Ruger All-Weather Synthetic M77 Mark II bolt action in .300wm. I am having a problem with the rings practically stripping the finish off my scope. I figured its probably moving under recoil. Iv considered lapping but I was more considering the Burris ZEE signature rings which has the inserts to prevent wear and tear on the scope finish.

I was browsing the web but cant seem to find the rings for my rifle. I do see the ones with the weaver base but cant seem to figure out what conversion to use. The two weaver bases I have found are:

410990: Burris M77b, Super Redhawk Ruger To Weaver Base Adapter

410991: Burris R1, 77/22b, 77MLb, 77/44b, M-14b, Ruger-To-Weaver Base Adapter

But I have no idea what any of that mess means. Do you guys have any suggestions? I just am at a loss on what would fit.

Forgot to mention they are supposed to be 1" rings and I have a Nikon Buckmaster II 3x9x40 scope which is supposed to be a 1" tube.

Your scope is shifting under recoil. Don't bother replacing the rings, Ruger rings are one of the best mounting systems available. You need to either:
* Tighten the rings well on the scope body. LocTite the screws. Put a drop of LocTite between the scope body and the rings before you tighten the rings.
OR
* If you have a cheap scope, put a dial caliper on it to see if it is actually 1" in diameter. Many are not. If not, you can put a strip of paper between the rings and the scope to allow the rings to grip the scope. If it is a full 1" diameter, remove some metal from the joint between the ring halves to allow the halves to come together and hold the scope.

Lapping the rings might fix the problem by allowing more contact surface area between the scope and the rings, or it could make the problem worse by making the bore of the scope rings even larger.

The Burris signature rings with the inserts are a good idea but I wouldn't bother trying to use an adapter for the Ruger to try and use them. Ruger rings IMO are close to junk. I have mounted several and it's a &*^%ing miracle if you can mount a scope in unlapped Ruger rings without having either, scope ringmarks, torqued scope body, or a slipping scope. The problem is they are not in good alignment and you aren't getting enough contact with the scope.(I'm sure some will say they've had no problems but I'd like to see the scope tube for ringmarks)

I'd recommend buying a Wheeler Engineering scope alignment and lapping bar. It comes as a kit. First you install a pointed steel bar in each ring and tighten them down. Face the points towards each other and see how close the rings are. Sometimes you can tweak them as you tighten them to get closer. Then lightly lap them with the lapping bar and you're good to go. Only lap away 70% of the fininsh being careful not to take too much. This is especially helpful if you have a lot of guns you'll get your money's worth out of the tool and save ring marks on expensive scopes.

The other option would be to buy Burris Ruger 77 ringmounts. The nice thing about them is they are cleaner without the big screwhead on the side, and they tighten from both sides so they are windage adjustable. They are a noticeable improvement from factory rings IMO.

On a side note; Ruger does NOT suggest lapping their rings which basically means they do not care that they make a receiver and rings that will not align well enough to not leave ring marks on your scope. There is no warranty on lapped Ruger rings and if you call them they will ask you to ship them the rifle, scope, and rings to prove something is amiss. They lost a lot of points with me when they insisted their rings should NEVER be lapped. That showed me they do not understand the fundamentals of why any rings are lapped. IMO a straight receiver with straight tapped holes, with straight bases with straight drilled rings could still need lapping if just 1 or 2 of those things are ever so slightly out of alignment with each other. Get the alignment bars and put em on. They don't lie.

I own eight ruger m-77 rifles and have never had a problem with any of the scope rings, and the scopes are switched quite often as I am constantly rotating and upgrading. As I recently found out with a leupold scope, everyone screws up, might be a bad set of rings. Try getting in touch with ruger, or go to where you purchased the rifle. They should be willing to exchange them for a new pair. You won't be out anything, and it may solve the problem. flyboy

flyboy

You're a lucky man. I and several shooting buddies have scopes that are marred up from our younger days before we knew how to lap Ruger rings. My buddy even had a pair that weren't drilled out completely so there was a raised ring on the inside edge. It dented his scope because he didn't realize it until too late. I believe what you say about never having problems but I haven't been so lucky nor has anyone I shoot with who owns a Ruger.

I have also never experienced this issue with the six m77's I own. Do check your tube diameter. My guess it is less than 1".

As I stated in my first post. There will be countless folks here who've never had problems with their Ruger rings. Can we see pictures of your scope tube after it's been tightened down in the unlapped Ruger rings?

Back