Ruger 77/44 accuracy

oldscot3

I'm thinking about a 77/44, what should I expect for accuracy at 50 yards? I'll be using hand loads with 240s or 265s and a low power scope.

They are accurate guns but remember loads vary wildly from load load. So find a load that groups well and stick with that load.

The 77/44 has good accuracy with jacketed bullets, with cast bullets however accuracy is pretty bad, specially with weak .44spcl loads.

Last edited:
I have tried Hornady 225gr and 240gr XTPs. The 225s shoot flatter and group slightly better but the 240s will do more damage on 200# game. I have dropped 2/3 deer I have shot with my 77/44... the other one was a bad shot on my part and went about 100 yards, all were shot with the 240gr XTP.

Ive got some Buffalo Bore ammo on order to test out, 255gr cast and 240gr+p cast. I will report back with my findings when the ammo arrives and I find time!

I will likely use 240 and 265 grain jacketed bullets, from your experience, can I expect 1" groups at 50 yards when I find the right combo? What I'm trying to discern is if the typical 77/44 can reasonably be expected to do that well before I buy it.

I've never comparison tested a variety of ammo for groups in my 77/44. All I wanted to do was dial in the scope for an initial pre-season setting for deer. I wanted a Winchester or Remington hunting round to be 3 inches high at 50 yards. I punched a couple holes precisely where I wanted and let it go at that. For the most part, I do take extra time and do buy multiple ammo brands for comparison. My very first hits were so spot on, I just never fired any more.

i have killed several deer with my 77/44 useing H-110 and 240gr sp bullets, i was given 5 boxes of old federal 240 hp factory shells and they shoot 2" or better groups at 100yds with a 2x7 leupold scope, i am going to use up the federals than go back to my reloads.the 77/44 is one of my favorite rifles for bad weather, rain or snow. light, handy and reliable. eastbank.

I will likely use 240 and 265 grain jacketed bullets, from your experience, can I expect 1" groups at 50 yards when I find the right combo?

if you find the right bullet im sure it can be done. It wont be easy though..

Ok thanks for the replies, what I'm hearing is it's possible given a willingness to put in the necessary load development.

Back