Ruger 77/22 - opinions?

I find the Ruger 77/22 to be very good shooter. It always goes to the range with me. I would not put the 10/22 and 77/22 in the same category. If you want to shoot off a bench then I like the 77/22 but, for just all around plinking it is hard to beat the 10/22. I think $250 over the price of a 10/22 is high. But, I am not sure what you mean my heavily customized. I think if you are looking for a used 77/22 you could do better. I pick mine up at a pawn shop for $200 and it was in excellent shape with a nice scope. Just my way of thinking

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited August 02, 1999).]

Real serious .22 shooters don't much care for the 77/22. I love mine. It has nice wood, fit and finish, and shoots great. It is my practice rifle (I shoot it in various positions, throughout the year) for my two hunting rifles which are configured the same: a 77 and M-70. Last year I shot it off the bench at 100 yards with a 2 inch group with 10 shots! Maybe a fancy German or other European rifle could do much better but for my uses I find punching paper boring.

I've had an All Weather 77/22 for about8
or 9 years now and I love it! It has more
accuracy than I can use in the field at
normal .22 distances. It has been the
bane of Pennsylvania squirrels and
grounhogs and has killed more Montana
gophers than I can count. For paper
punching and target shooting there are
probably better choices available. For a
good all purpose hunting/plinking
informal target shooting gun it is my
favorite,hands down. It is also a great
rifle to practice with for hunting
situations. I highly reccommend it.

I heard two of you mention that there are better rifles for target practice. I was just curious to what brand/models these were. Thanks

Mic. Take a look at a Remington 541T. A bit more money than the 77/22, but when I get a .22 that will do .25 inch groups at 50 yards with Wal-Mart loss leader ammo, then that's a winner. That's off a bench BTW. I ain't that good a shot normally.
Paul B.

Back