Ruger .480

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Has anybody seen any ballastic charts on the new Ruger .480? How much more powerful is it compared to the .454 casull?

The 480 Ruger is 325gr at 1350 fps. It's not a wimpy round by any means, but it is not as powerful as the 454 Casull. The 480 Ruger is a shortened, lower pressure version of the 475 Linebaugh. The reason for Ruger to make the 475 kurtz is so that they can fit six rounds into the Super Redhawk; at Linebaugh pressures you have to drop it to five shots to keep the cylinder walls thick enough. IMHO, the main reason for it is for Bill Ruger to get his name on a caliber before he retires.

The only place I've seen anything at all is the Hornady page, and it isn't real informative. It looks like they were aiming for something in a bigger bullet without getting into the super pressure range. A little easier on the gun, and the shooter, but still throwing a 300+ bullet.

I don't think that Ruger has even cataloged the gun yet. At least they hadn't the last time I went to their web site.

The Ruger website does list the 480 but does not give any particular information about it. It seems to be available as a Super Redhawk.

Back