Ruger .454 FTF

LevelHead

Just got a Ruger .454 Casull in trade.

Broght it to the range and in 28 rounds, had two FTFs..

One, a Hornady, would not light after many strikes. I had to drop it in the dud bucket.

The other, a Magtech, fired after another strike.

I know the .454 uses rifle primers - is this common with this caliber or does this gun need work?

The gun is/was clean, including the firing pin hole. Mechanically the gun appears to be sound. The primer strikes are just a hair off center on the primer.

Any ideas?

Rugers are usually known for exceptionally heavy hammer strikes. Were you shooting DA? Does the trigger feel quite light compared to what it normally would be? Do the firing pin marks seem shallow?

I was shooting DA and SA - don't recall at the time which, though when trying to re-fire the hornady I definatly tried both.

The hammer feels very heavy and what I would expect given the heft of the gun and size of the cartridge.

An aftermarket reduced power mainspring will result in an occasional failure to fire.

If the prior owner had changed to one of these, replacing the mainspring with a "standard" spring will correct your problem.

In the context of the price of .454 ammo, get 3-4 boxes of .45 Colts for further function testing. If the problem crops up again, contact Ruger. They'll fix it.

Back