Ruger .357 SP101 Question?

S.F.S

I stumbled upon a earlier model SP101 today with the 3" barrel in excellent condition less than a box of ammo through it, the price is $260.00, I know its the earlier model because it says on the barrel .357 125 grain only..
Was there a problem with these that Ruger stopped manufacturing these and started with the extended frame ones, besides being able to shoot the 158 grain?

I called Ruger about this and they said there was not a recall on these earlier models but I can send it in for an updated version if I would like.

Does anyone out there have one of the older ones that shoot 125 grain only? If so is it holding up OK?

Scott

My understanding is that the only issue with the first ones was that they were built on the same length frame as the .38s, and that anything longer than the 125grn jhps would not fit.

So Ruger says that they would upgrade you to a new frame if you send it back to them? Would they charge you for that? If not the sounds like you could get into a 'new' SP101 for $260 !! I would jump on that.

Yep.. No Charge!!! They said they did it because people wanted to use the more hotter 158 Gr. loads. They said the internals are the same. This gun that Im looking at doesn't even have lead fouling anywhere on or in the cylinder.
Forcing cone doesn't have any wear on it, it locked-up tight. The gun was used for carry only and he traded it in shortly before I got there on a 2 1/4" barrel.

Ruger said the offer is open for as long as there are 125 Gr. models still out there.
Also the older models are +P rated like the newer ones.

Hey Ben,
I went to that gun shop to put that 4" GP100 on lay-away and saw this one and figured I would pass on the GP and get the SP instead:D They are holding it till I get in their tomorrow after work..
Scott

Ben,
Thanks for the idea:D
But I don't think my wife will go for that one...

I plan on picking up the Hogue rubber grips this weekend.

Victor,
You know you may have a point there, especially since they were made only for 2 yrs.

If you're talking mono-grips, great!! It made all the difference shooting "full house" loads out of my sp. Being able to keep the third finger on the grip is a godsend for follow-up shots.

Ben

Aren't the mono grips the best thing since Grape Jelly!
I have them on my Speed Six. They just make shooting the gun a pleasure. Glad to see you go for them too.

Don Mallard

Don, I wouldn't do this on a regular basis, but do you think the sp101 could digest some of those "original" loads? It's built like a mini-tank. Shouldn't hit me any harder than a snubbie 44mag, should it?
I realize that due to barrel length, I won't get full preformace out of it.
It's just one of those "because I can" things.

Well I got into the gunshop after work last night and put some money down on my new toy :D
Then I went looking for some Hogue mono-grips for it, but the 2 places I checked did not have them in stock.

I never took notice to the price on the new SP's till now (I have always been into the GP's) they are running about $370.00 new. Not to shabby I saved over $100.00 :D going with this used one, that is basically new.

Hey guys Thanks for all your advice!!!!

Not to start a controversy or anything, but I liked the factory grips on my SP just fine, in fact I have the factory stocks on my SP, GP, and .357 Redhawk which is unusual for me; like most of us, I like the custom grips, but Ruger seems to have done it right (for my hand) with the factory stocks. I got the Hogues for my SP because everyone I talked to praised them. They look good and feel great, but for me, they wear the skin on my hand into a blister. I went back to the factory grips. Just a comment exploding the myth of "one size fits all".

I have to agree with you about the GP grips. They fit me very well and are comfortable with hot .357 rounds. On the other hand the grips on the SP are kind of short for my hand. When I get the pistol Im sure I will try out the stock grips but will replace them with Hogue's.
The wood grips on the Redhawk just are not comfortable to me. I had the Hogues on my Redhawk (which I traded).

With my big hands I had to put a Hogue Monogrip on my SP101, as the factory grip felt good, but was just too short. It fits my hand perfect with the Hogue.

YMMV,

Desert Dog,
I have the same problem it feels good but my hands are to big.
I think the Hogue will work out nicely and it will also look pretty cool :)

I have noticed that a lot of people can't stand having a finger or two extend below the bottom of the grip. For some reason this doesn't bother me at all and I never gave it a thought until it was brought to my attention. I have several guns that have extremly small grips like a Smith J-Frame with boot grips.

If the "125 grain only" SP101 are on a .38 frame does that mean I can shoot 125 grain .357 out of my .38 SP101?

I too like the Hogue grip on my SP. The factory rubber grip wasn't bad until some @$%&* friend of mine pointed to the retaining screw and asked "doesn't that bug you?", whereupon it started to bug me... I could feel it poking my palm every time I gripped the weapon.

The Hogue feels great, and it has endured several years of tough love.

PS - Don, nice to see you here!

Back