Ruger .357 SP101 or LCR as boot gun?

Which gun as a .357 magnum boot gun: the Ruger SP101 or LCR?

• Ruger SP101

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Ruger LCR

Votes: 40 85.1%

• Total voters

ATN082268

Which gun would you pick as a .357 magnum boot gun: the Ruger SP101 or the Ruger LCR? The gun will, of course be carried in an ankle holster but I'd like some constructive input. Thank you.

Last edited:
The LCR is going to be lighter and more comfortable.

The SP101 is heavier, but you can also carry heavy loads. You can fire 158 grain Fed Hydrashok all day and your hand will not hurt. Fire one in the LCR and you need an ice pack.

It's almost apples and oranges comparing these two. If you are going to be in the woods, I'd carry the SP101... in and around town, probably the LCR.

for actually shooting Magnums I'd opt for the sp101. for everyday carry I'd opt for the LCR with light magnums.

Lcr. And I have both.
Like Dan-O, I too have both. The LCR is more suited for a boot gun because of its lighter weight. You can help tame the recoil by using ammo designed for lightweight, short barreled guns. I use ARX ammunition. The .357 Magnum uses a 86 grain bullet that gives around 1700 fps velocity and 558 ft. lbs energy. It's a non expanding polymer-copper matrix projectile that utilizes hydraulic displacement.

My vote was the SP101, the ability to shoot full house 357s "trumps" any weight savings, and whom carries a gun in there boot anyways?

i love my 38 special lcr. buying one for my wife in .22 no better in easy to carry gun. cant imagine shooting a lcr in 357. a well placed shot from a 38 will do the trick. it also is very smooth in action and very accurate.

When I tried them I found ankle holsters to be very uncomfortable, even with something as small and light as a M-60 S&W. The SP101 would just be worse, in my opinion.

Dave

Last edited:
I guess I wonder why you want a boot gun? I think both the SP101 and LCR would be uncomfortable. I would look at something much smaller in a smaller caliber if you want a boot gun.

As someone who has carried a G26 in an ankle holster I recommended the LCR. My SP101 is to heavy in my opinion to be an ankle gun and its 32H&R. You could also go with the 327 LCR and have 6 shots on tap? I guess it depends on what role the gun will be playing?

I have a G26 and an ankle holster, the galco setup, and it's way too big and heavy. I also own an SP101 and it's huge. Bigger than the 26. No way you can ankle carry it. 38sp+P LCR maybe, but I got a P-32 from keltec for the role.

The gun will, of course be carried in an ankle holster but I'd like some constructive input. Thank you.

I have to ask how much experience do you have with ankle holsters????
It's going to take a lot of practice

You could also go with the 327 LCR and have 6 shots on tap?

I like the LCR chambered in .327 Magnum but it, and its .357 Magnum stablemate, does weigh a couple of ounces or so more than the .38 Special version of the LCR line. When a gun is being carried in an ankle holster, every ounce counts.

Id probably go with a kel tec p-32 on the ankle, a sp101 in .327 on the right hip, and a .327 lcr in my front left pocket.

Id probably go with a kel tec p-32 on the ankle, a sp101 in .327 on the right hip, and a .327 lcr in my front left pocket.
Sorry. I just have to chuckle at this.... I think carrying three knives is a bit stupid and the're easy to conceal..... three guns.... for what purpose? Even many cops go their entire careers and never fire a shot other than training.... But I think you're on the right track for the ankle gun. I would leave either the SP101 or LCR at home.

Back